35: Stew

Stew
by Lt. Commander TC Blane
and
Lt. Commander Dabin Reece
71218.23

--=In the Galley/Mess of the Alchemy=--


"Sit, Mr. Reece," TC said, motioning to the open seat with his fork. “We need to talk.” A stern expression on his face but a smile grew within his mind.

"Oh swell!" *Here it comes.* Dabin thought, as he smiled and sat in the chair that Bru had been in before. "Why, thank you, Mr. Blane. So, what's on the menu tonight?"

“Stew.” TC answered flatly.

“So. Tell me why did you feel the need to wed behind our backs? Not to mention on that God forsaken snowball?” TC calmly placed his fork down and intently stared at Dabin with his ice blue eyes. He really had not gotten the chance to get to know the man, or men and women depending on your point of view. He wanted to know the man behind the curtain. He had really only known Bru for a short time, but truly was beginning to look at her as the little sister he never had.

That being the case he wanted to know this Dabin Reece, the man who was now was his proverbial brother in law. It was time to pull him onto the carpet.

"Because she asked me? Does that answer work?"

"Not really. February is rather younger then you. You are old enough to understand puppy love, she probably isn't."

"We shared something special together on Trill, and fell in love. What can I say. I take this stuff seriously. There is a heart behind the bratty facade, I assure you. Yes, Reece loved Grace from the past, but that is not the only reason we are together. Dabin loves February as well."

TC hadn't known Dabin long enough to know that before joining, he was not the outgoing prankster that the influence from Reece had brought out in him.

In fact, he had been quite quiet and introspective. Dabin usually let Reece "have its fun," but at serious times like this, Dabin would reassert himself to let people know that there was a loving man underneath; and not just a cad looking to take advantage of an innocent young woman.

TC swirled the liquid in his glass around, watching it spin, then set it down and looked across the table at Reece again. "One could argue that true love never evolves that fast. Maybe we just want to believe we are in love and want to be married because it suits our infatuation."

"One could argue that. Let me argue this point. I gave YEARS of my life to Jaine Hood. We tried time and again to find our way to the altar and finally just had to admit that we weren't right for each other. So, one could argue that a slow courtship doesn't necessarily foster true love either. Its all about finding the right person." He fell silent a moment, remembering.

"When I watched what February went through with Grace, and all the events surrounding the Trill mission," he continued, "I knew she was something special. When it turned out after the Zhian'tara that she felt the same way about me, it was so easy to accept her into my life. Then, when she asked for my hand, that was an opportunity I could not, and did not want, to let go by me." He gave TC a moment to consider his words before concluding.

"I've done the chase. Done it to death. And there was no way I was going to make her chase me when I had no desire to run."

Dabin looked down at February's old plate of food and grinned. "I'll get off my soapbox now, TC."

As TC crunched Dabin's words in his head, Fleur cleared February's plate away, and replaced it with a fresh setting of bread and stew. Dabin managed a quick thank you before shoveling the first fork full into his mouth. He could not remember the last time he actually sat still to eat.

"My pleasure, Monsieur Reece." Fleur curtsied politely as she took the dirty plates away.

TC finally let a smile crack on his face. “Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men, and I am glad to see you have it.” He held out his hand. “Congratulations Mr. Reece.”

Dabin shook TC’s hand. “Thanks”

TC turned his attention back to his stew. He was filling up now and feeling much better. He was finally cleaned, showered, shaved and in a freshly replicated uniform. He still had not slept but now with a full belly it was only a matter of time.

“So, when are you going to get hitched in style? Or isn’t that part of the plan?” He asked as he leaned back in his chair to give the meal more room to digest.

"Yeah..." Dabin grinned, as he relaxed a bit and Reece's nature began to shine back through. "Let's just say we are happy to remember Yensul for the way it was, and neither of us are eager to get into the complexity of a full blown. . .event. Besides, Leacynth was a Bridezilla and I'm not sure February wants to bring that part of me back out."

Dabin leaned over his bowl, shoveling his food in rather rudely, but with all that had happened in the last few days TC could understand that table manners had to be dismissed.

"Oh and, for the record." Dabin added between bites. "I never laid a hand on her 'til after we were married."

TC laughed, and took a swig of his drink. "You are a horrible liar, Mr. Reece. That's a good quality in a man."

"Yeah, not even close to getting you to buy that one, was I?"

"No, not even close." TC shook his head.


Lt. Commander TC Blane
and
Lt. Commander Dabin Reece
USS Alchemy NX-53099