107: Meet and Greet. . .

. . . and Some Sparring, Too
By Lieutenant Dr. Terasha and Captain Zanh
80121.23
Following What He Wouldn't Tell Her

--=In the Arboretum=--


Zanh Liis was sitting on the swing still, swaying gently to and fro.

Her eyes were unfocused on anything in particular around her, as she stared lost in thought into the distance.

Until a voice addressed her.

"Evening, Ma'am."

She looked up and saw the Long-Term Medical Hologram standing before her, mobile emitter affixed to his arm. "Dalton McKay, pleased to make your acquaintance."

Zanh grinned, and invited him with a gesture to sit down. "So, you're going to humor me?"

"It's always a good thing to humor the Captain, whenever possible." He teased. "I figure you're right. If I want people to think of me as a Photonic life form and not a glorified night-light, I'm gonna have to take a name. Dalton and McKay both come from the maternal surnames of the man I was modeled after, so I figured, it works."

"Excellent." She extended her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Dr. McKay."

"Please, we're off duty," The doctor said with a laugh. "Call me Dalton."

Zanh saw a stunning Andorian woman approaching them. She also was wearing medical blue. "Well, Dalton, if I'm right, this would be the doctor who will be supervising Sera's Sickbay from now on,"

McKay stood up, and gestured toward the seat on the swing as Lieutenant Dr. Terasha approached.

Terasha had been roaming through the arboretum, looking for the captain. A number of people stopped to say hello and introduce themselves, and she politely spoke with them. As soon as possible, however, she broke away from each of them.

Eventually, she spied Captain Zanh sitting on a swing, speaking with a male officer. She didn't want to interrupt, so she stopped, but when they saw her, it was clear she was welcome to approach. The male officer even relinquished his seat on the swing for her.

Something was odd about the male. Terasha wasn't getting any sensations from him. Moving her antennae slightly in his direction, she didn't detect anything. No body heat. No sense of life energy. Nothing. Only when he stood, did she notice he was wearing a device on his arm.

He was the medical hologram.

"Captain Zanh," said Terasha, remaining standing. "I am Dr. Terasha, recently transferred from the USS Magellan. I am officially reporting for duty."

Zanh stood, and nodded to the doctor. She was actually relieved, knowing that the woman would not expect her to shake hands. She'd shaken so many today she was starting to feel like she was running for government office.

"Pleased to meet you, Dr. Terasha. May I introduce your medical colleague aboard our two ships, Dr. Dalton McKay."

Terasha glanced at the medical hologram, then looked back at the captain, a questioning expression on her face, her right antenna standing erect, the left, in the normal, slightly-curved position.

"Yes. The doctor has a name." Zanh answered her unspoken question evenly. "Dr. McKay is the medical officer responsible for saving my life following my abduction and subsequent rescue, in fact. He was the only medical officer on the Alchemy during the trip."

The newly named McKay offered Terasha a smile. "It's nice to meet you, Doc. I look forward to turning Sera's sickbay over to your primary care, now that you've arrived. Just remember I'm never far away, and if you ever get into a jam, all you have to do is holler."

When the medical hologram had finished, Terasha again returned her gaze to the captain.

"I look forward to beginning my duties, Captain. I'm here to serve," said Terasha plainly.

"We're happy to have you aboard. I would like for you to coordinate the hand-off of oversight of Sera's sickbay with Dr. McKay. He can bring you up to speed on the current condition of any patients he's been seeing regularly," Zanh hesitated. "Myself included. I will be stopping in tomorrow for my scheduled post-surgical check up."

"Yes, Captain," said Terasha.

"I'll be on my way now," McKay said softly. His shoulders seemed to sink a little, as he realized that he wouldn't be needed as often on duty any longer, with the new organic doctor aboard. For a moment Liis had the mental image of a child running away from home, with a bindle over its shoulder, thinking that it was not needed or wanted.

It was a pathetic sight.

"Captain, I'll. . .see you when I see ya. I guess."

"Hey," Liis tilted her head to the side toward him. "You'll see me. I promise."

He nodded, and excused himself from the pair, walking away.

"He's a good man." Zanh said, surprising Terasha by speaking of the hologram as if he were any other member of her crew.

Terasha's antennae twitched.

"Captain, respectfully, it isn't a man. The medical hologram is merely the projection of a highly-sophisticated and advanced program. It's designed to act as a man would act. It is a very valuable tool to have."

Terasha hoped she wouldn't offend her captain. It was clear she had become emotionally attached to the hologram, since it had saved her life. It was a common psychological occurrence. Nonetheless, being direct and to-the-point, was part of who Terasha was, so her position needed to be known from the beginning.

"Is there anything else you need for me to do?"

"Yeah," Zanh began, her hackles rising. "I need for you to rethink your position on Photonic lifeforms."

She realized that the Andorian's opinion seemed set, and would not likely change over night, but as Captain, she would not stand by and watch a valued member of her crew suffer discrimination, whatever it was they were made of.

"That man saved my life. He is not a 'tool' as you so eloquently put it." Zanh gestured to the arboretum around them. "I think you'll find if you talk to the rest of the crew a little, that I am not alone in my opinion of him. He's one of them. One of us."

Several thoughts ran through Terasha's mind. She was a doctor now, but her first training, her first love, was that of a warrior. Never the coward that backed down from a fight, she stood her ground, her facial expression passive, her antennae standing firm. Still, a smart warrior also knew when to retreat. Engaging in a fight with her new captain, barely a minute after meeting her, was unwise. She chose the course of wisdom.

"I understand your position, Captain."

That was it. Just a simple statement. Terasha stood, waiting for Captain Zanh to speak again.

"And I, yours." Zanh replied, inclining her head toward the Lieutenant. "Well, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow in Sickbay for my check up." Zanh clasped her hands behind her back. "If you will excuse me, I have to make the rounds among my guests now. Please, help yourself to some food, meet your crew mates."

Zanh took a few steps and then looked back at the Andorian once again over her shoulder.

"I'm sure if I ask Dr. McKay very nicely, he will be delighted to explain to you in precise detail the physical rehabilitation regimen he has designed for me. I look forward to that during my appointment as well. Good evening."

"Thank you, Captain," said Terasha. "As I said, I look forward to beginning my duties." As the captain disappeared into the foliage, Terasha calmly headed back toward the main party area.

Lieutenant Dr. Terasha
Supervising Physician
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

and

Captain Zanh Liis
Commanding Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012