195: Mother Says Hello



By Avery Breaux
80306.12
Concurrent with The Scientist

--=Breaux's Quarters=--


Breaux entered the room and immediately commanded the computer,

"Ambient lighting, low. Very low." He set the PADD showing his passing of the medical boards on the table that housed his desktop comm.

He passed the ever-present tool kit case and moved to the sofa that looked out the elongated view portal. He stopped in front of the sofa and then moved slowly back to the chair that afforded him the same view. He sat down and put his feet up and closed his eyes, reflecting on what had gone on.

*That's a great deal of trust,* he thought to himself.

He quickly ran scenarios in his head. *Check on Lair, congratulate Rada, do an overview of Engineering, stay in Engineering unless our doctor moves on to another posting, contact Nolan about Barbary Coast.* He rubbed at his temples with his fingertips.

He opened his eyes and allowed his gaze to take him to the table to his right. Perhaps he and Rada would enjoy a semi-weekly dinner or breakfast to stay on top of Engineering matters. Informal, yet business could be accomplished.

*Barbary Coast.*

As if on cue, his desktop comm signaled a message had arrived. He bounded from the chair to the smallish desk and without checking, he activated the switch allowing the message through.

The image of Captain Angela Nolan of Erasmus filled the screen. Her shoulder-length brown hair framing her face; a face that was mischievous at best, yet commanded your attention.

"Avery, good to see you, friend. I hope all is well."

"Angela, great to see you." Avery settled in to the chair. Seeing Angela was always exhilarating...he could never really define their relationship, which, of course, was part of the allure.

Neither Angela nor Avery were broaching the Barbary Coast subject. He would listen for cues.

She continued, "I got your subspace. I'm headed to a junket that will take me from Erasmus for a two week period. Diplomacy issues...I t'ink Starfleet is trying their best to bore me to death...perhaps we can meet, unless of course the Sera is detailed."

Breaux nodded, "It might work out. I believe we're headed for a bit of R&R. We've just concluded a tumultuous assignment, very grave in some instances."

Nolan paused, "I'm sorry to hear that...My best to your crew," again, she paused. "I was on Rigel. I saw Alessa."

Breaux stood fixed, staring at the screen. Rigel, on assignment. Alessa, and their group. Then he recalled his past training, "I hope she's well. You'll be glad to learn I finally past the medicals."

Nolan dipped her head and got a gleam in her eye.

"Doctor Breaux, it was inevitable boyo, congratulations." Angela slipped back into character, I will pass it along to her -she will be elated." Again, a slight pause, "Her mother was with her. She's gettin' on, but still spry. She asked me to give you a kiss."

"Mother" . . . the Maquis.

Breaux nodded slowly, "A kiss? I hope you can control yourself."

Angela laughed, "You may be a bloody doctor, but I'm still a Captain, you know."

"You never let me forget, and you always pull rank at the most inappropriate times. I'll let you know our destination. I hope we can get together."

Angela ended with a flourish, "I have a number of tasks to complete, let me know asap. Nolan out."

The image faded and was replaced by the Starfleet Medical logo.

Avery smiled for a moment at the thought that someone had taken the time to link his screen with his new achievement, and then he wondered if someone had been through his comm. What had they seen? His subpace materials had been innocuous. "No paranoia," he told himself.

*Pips. I need to refit my uniform. Quartermaster, do it the old-fashioned way,* He stood and let his fingertips rest on the edge of the desk.

*Maquis . . .*

He moved toward the gray doors and they parted.

*********

Lt. Cmdr. Avery Breaux
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012