243: The Game

By Avery Breaux
80317.00
Concurrent with Earth Bound

-=Buena Vista Cafe, San Francisco, California=-

His original agenda showed him heading directly to New York, but at the last minute, in the event that he was followed, Avery requested transport to Los Angeles, then detoured to San Francisco.

The Hyde Street Pier in The City was a welcome sight. Avery rode the mini public transport from Columbus to the foot of Hyde Street. Avery smiled and filed off with the large crowd that had been aboard the transport. From the corner of his eye, he saw a Bajoran Temple and would stop there before departing. But first...he passed through the doors of another familiar locale that he and Angela and countless others from the Academy had frequented...

"Do the Prophets know of your whereabouts?...Don't we have rules anymore?...how did you get in here?" Shadeen was beaming as she rushed to the end of the bar to shake Breaux's hand.

"I wish I had a credit for every time I rented out that New Orleans holoprogram of yours," whined the attractive barkeep.

Breaux laughed, "You know as well as I do, you have TWO credits for every time it's been run...and THREE for ..."

"...my friends!" Shadeen finished the sentence, as they both broke into laughter.

Avery slid up to the bar and allowed his eyes to scan outside the bar area. Shadeen immediately brought him a Stargazer. "Don't tell me...Angela...can she be far off?" Before Avery could answer, Shadeen began again, "Wait!...the pips!...your markings!...a Lieutenant Commander...AND a doctor?!...now you have to listen to that drivel that Starfleet Medical publishes I imagine...it can't be worth the raise."

They laughed again. Avery began, "Actually...I'm meeting Angela in New York." Shadeen gave a sly look, "Well give my best to her and if you see Alessa...say hello to her and her mother...there's nothing quite like family."

Avery took a sip, "Watered-down, some things never change."

The din of the crowd made it easy for Shadeen and Breaux to talk, that is, in between her waiting on customers at her third of the bar. She handed out six of the fastest Irish Coffees anyone had seen and made her way down to Avery. As a Deltan, she stood out and garnered the attention of most males that entered. Deflecting their advances was just one of her many sordid skills. She leaned against a small stool that rested behind the bar. She surveyed the bar from her vantage point.

"So, Doctor," she accentuated the doctor in a manner which alerted Avery that no good could come of this, "how does a hard-working girl like myself get the meds I need?" She smiled and ran her fingers across the top of one of his hands that rested on the bar.

Avery grinned, "Yes, a hard-working girls can be prey to all sorts of maladies."

She leaned forward, "Do you still dabble?...'T' would do me just fine...you seemed to like it as I recall."

Breaux became stoic, "Deen, there's days where I don't know if I'm coming or going. . ."

She sat up at the mention of her nickname, "So is that a yes?"

Breaux took in her fetching smile, "Deen I need a favor."

Her eyes worked Avery over, "Finally, it's been ages for us."

Breaux took her hands in his, "This is serious,"

"Ohhh, Angela, is it? Be right back," she moved quickly handling what seemed like a dozen rapid-fire orders for a varying assortment of drinks. Breaux continued to look over his shoulder through the large windows that looked out on the sailing ship, Balclutha. He saw no one of interest.

Shadeen returned, "So if I handle a favor for you,"

Breaux nodded.

She sipped at her ice water, "Let me guess, once you're gone, I make sure no one followed you?"

Breaux quietly offered, "You're good."

She smiled again, "Oh no, I can be. . .really bad."

-----

Lt. Cmdr Avery Breaux
USS Serendipity NCC-2012