262: Breakthrough

By Avery Breaux and Jariel Camen
80413.10
After A Command Performance

-=Deck 3, USS Serendipity=-


Avery activated the door chime for Camen and stepped back from the doorway.

Jariel set down the text he was reading. An enlightening book on the philosophy of the Breen. Their writers and thinkers were apparently as cold and unforgiving as their homeworld. On a world where equatorial temperatures approach freezing during the "summer", it was only natural their people would be as harsh as the climate. Still, Camen found their teachings facinating and worthwhile in his endeavour to understand all the alien species Starfleet came in contact with. He considered anthropology one of the most important factors to being an effective Chaplain.

He walked to the door to personally greet whomever was there. Upon seeing Avery Breaux, Camen wondered if he was here to see the Chaplain, or the Captain.

[[I'm afraid Zanh Liis isn't in, or are you seeking me?]]

"Actually, I would like to speak with you Vedek."

Camen gestured towards the corridor. [[Walk with me then, we can sit in my office and talk.]]

Avery considered the alternative of sitting in Camen's quarters, not knowing when Zanh Liis would return, and decided to accept the offer. As they walked towards the lift, Avery watched the Vedek sign.

[[So, what is it I can do for you?]]

"Well, actually we're in the midst of our cross-training, and I'd be willing to share any facet of the medical field you might be interested in...but...I'm interested in pursuing some spiritual studies. I've spent time at a Bajoran monastery...and for a time became deeply immersed in the culture. I miss the exchange I use to have with the Vedeks and those in and around the village."

Camen smiled softly, almost nostalgically. He stared off into the distance for a bit as Avery awaited his reply.

[[I have not conducted services in some time, except in here.]] Camen tapped his finger against his temple. [[But I would be more than happy to walk you through the rituals, and discuss the teaching with you.]]

"I would appreciate that."

[[Besides I am sure others would take the opportunity to join the service if it were held. Lair Kellyn for example.]]

Avery stiffened just for a moment at the sound of her name, then immediately regained his composure.

"And you? What can I teach you of the medical field?"

[[I have always been interested in basic nursing and triage care. As Vedeks, we are called upon to be among the first to arrive when tragedy strikes. It would be good to have some knowledge of field medicine for that reason, and perhaps with some nursing instruction I could take a shirt or two a week in Sickbay. It is in my nature to help the sick and wounded.]]

Avery nodded in understanding, as they turned off the corridor, and entered Vedek Jariel's office.

"I'm willing to learn whatever you care to impart...I was always amazed at the way the Vedeks would share a prayer, and the history behind the prayer, and suddenly...we went from altar to garden and had been immersed in a philosophical discussion for hours."

Breaux continued, "I suppose part of my fascination with the culture is the fact that the Bajoran seem conflicted to some degree..."...he caught the Vedek's eyes,"...and I don't mean that disrespectfully. It's just that they are such a deeply spiritual people and had to endure the Cardassian regime. Many had to make decisions that were unpopular...that has always fascinated me." Breaux had been assured that the circle of people who knew about his Maquis dealings was miniscule. In his own minor way he was seeking understanding of his own journey through the Vedek.

[[No offense taken. The Prophets ask of us our love and our devotion, but they do not expect us to sacrifice our lives. That is why we do not chain ourselves to notions such as celebacy or ritual sacrifice that you find in so many cultures. It is also why we did not punish those who took up arms in defense when the Cardassians came.]]

Camen walked behind his desk to the bookshelf that contained the hard bound books of religion and philosophy that Liis had provided for him in his office. She knew he preferred studying with ink on paper, not on a computer screen.

He took down one of his Bajoran texts. There were many, and they were all well worn.

[[Our teachings are deeply seeded in prophecies.]]

"How appropriate." Avery observed.

[[The Computer has the text of this book on file. This entire book is Prophecies of the Emissary. Some are fullfilled, some are not. You are no doubt aware of events in the recent past regarding a man from your own part of Earth who fullfilled many of these Prophecies.]]

"Of course. The events taking place on Bajor during those times were the difference between the Federation winning and losing its war with the Dominion."

[[It has just become apparent to me that there are a few others aboard...who would like to hold services.]] Camen chose his words carefully. Just like he had no knowledge of Avery's Maquis ties, Avery did not know about Fleur Le Marc's recent desire for conversion. Teaching Fleur one on one was a task that unnerved Camen to say the least, and if he could bring Avery into the fold, so much the better.

With some luck he may even be able to talk Kellyn and Arie into attending, perhaps even February Grace would desire to take some study in the Bajoran faith. The more people Camen had to attend service, the less he would have to deal with Fleur and the visions surrounding here. Not the least of which was the Prophets suggestion that his path was to be bonded with Fleur.

[[I'd like you to pick a passage fom this book at random, and using the historical database as a guide, discuss with the group how the Prophets fullfilled your particular prophacy, or how they may do so in the future.]]

Avery nodded, taking mental note of the title of the book, so he could bring it up later on the library computer.

[[Is there any specific guidance you need while the two of us are here?]]

Avery thought for a moment..."Yes, in confidence of course..." Breaux thought for a moment and then realized what he'd always know, and he forged on, "I have the normal everyday material ties to my existence, but I feel there is a higher purpose...I have a great many things I'd like to discuss with you...the least of which is my past."

[[I sense you have come here not to just learn of the Prophets, but to relieve your conscience as well. Choose a passage from the text, and we will meet soon with anyone else who wishes to join. Then, my friend, we will discuss your past.]]

---------------------------

LT. Commander Avery Breaux
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012


and

Vedek Jariel Camen
Ship's Chaplain
USS Serendipity NCC-2012