394: Knock Knock

by TC Blane and Dane Cristiane
80709.18
Immediately following Down the River

-=Quarters of Dane Cristiane, USS Serendipity=-


The door chime to Dane's room rang out just as he ended the comlink with Admiral Vox, causing him to almost jump out of his skin. Suddenly he found himself very worried that the transmission had been monitored and the brute squad was now at his door.

The door chime sounded again. Slowly his stood from the small desk and composed himself as he walked to the door. His approach triggered it to open revealing Commander Blane.

He stared at Dane with piercing blue eyes and absolutely no expression what so ever on his face.

*Shit, my goose is SO cooked.* Dane thought to himself

“Mr. Cristiane.”

Dane was not sure what to say, he was sure he had been caught. He stared at Blane for a long second trying to read the man but quickly determined that a waste of time.

“Commander Blane.” He coughed. “What can I do for you.”

“I need to speak with you Ensign.” TC replied flatly.

*Yep. Definitely death by brute squad for me.*

"Sir?"

"There is a new Operations officer being posted to the ship, an Ensign Landry Steele. She's going to be joining us on the Alchemy and then for awhile here on the Sera once we get back from Betazed."

*Steele...that was the name of the Ensign Vox mentioned...damn that man works fast...* Dane continued lost in his own thoughts.

"Ensign, I am speaking to you."

"I thought I had answered, sorry, Commander," Dane figured that perhaps a little dose of the truth might help get him out of the awkward moment. "I guess I've been kind of..."

"What? That beer bottle do more damage to the inside than the outside of your head?"

"It couldn't have helped." Dane replied regretfully. "No. It's just that, O'Sullivan's gone," Dane shrugged. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do about my Security duty rotations, all of that. We had a set schedule in place, I guess I kind of got used to it."

"I'll see what I can do about keeping those shifts for you under new supervision," TC offered.

"Thank you, Commander Blane."

"As I was saying, Ensign Steele is due to board very soon and I would appreciate it if you would show her around the Alchemy. More specifically, show her what not to touch so she doesn't break anything."

"I think I can manage that, Sir." Dane was already wondering if this Ensign Steele would know that he was supposed to be spying on Zanh Liis...

“I also wanted to speak with you about Mr. O’Sullivan.” He nodded toward Dane’s room. “Can I come in?”

Dane shrugged and stepped aside.

TC stepped into the room and waited for the door to close before speaking again. “I know that you were close with Mr. O’Sullivan. He took you under his wing and earned your respect.” He glanced around the room. “I can understand your loyalty to him. I find that commendable in fact it is a good quality for a young officer to have. It was unavoidable that he had to leave the ship.”

He turned back and glared at the young man. “Having said that let me now say this. I hold the captain of this vessel in the same high regard as you do O’Sullivan. I heard about your outburst when O’Sullivan was leaving.” He took a step closer to the young man. “These walls have ears.” He glared at Dane, whose posture now resembled a puppy that had been caught chewing his master's slippers.

Again.

“Do not know about your past history with my captain and I really do not care. But hear this loud and clear Ensign. If I ever think for even a second that you ever are even remotely acting on half of the things that you said to O’Sullivan about the Captain, you will find yourself in a world of hurt.”

He stared at Dane. “We’ve had enough betrayal on this ship to last us a lifetime. Far more then I am willing to allow.” His thoughts turned to Avery Breaux, almost causing him to almost growl. “Do we understand each other?”

Dane now had the look of a defiant child. He folded his arms and stared at the carpet, red-faced.

"Is there something wrong with your hearing, Ensign?"

"There is apparently nothing wrong with yours." Dane muttered bitterly.

"What was that?"

"I will continue to do my absolute best in the service of this ship and her crew, Sir." Dane snapped to attention, and Blane shook his head.

“O’Sullivan saw something in you Ensign, something I am apparently missing. Lord knows I have not a clue what it could possibly be.” He turned to leave.

“But I trust in his judgment because he earned my respect. So…” He turned to face Dane. “…I intend to pick up where he left off. I do not want to let the lessons his was drilling into you thick skull to get lost because of the lack of use.”

He stepped forward and paused as the doors opened with a hiss. towards the door. He paused as it hissed open. “You now have my undivided attention Mr. Cristiane.” Without another word being spoken the door closed behind him.

"And Zanh Liis has mine, Blane." Dane whispered after he was once again alone. "I'm getting the goods on her for Vox, and then I am getting the hell out of here."


-----------------------
Commander TC Blane
Second Officer/Chief of Operations
USS Serendipity/Alchemy

and

Ensign Dane Cristiane
Communications Officer
USS Serendipity/Alchemy