498: Tending to the Flock: Part Four

by Jack Hubbard and Commander Salvek
80901.0400
After Part Three

-=Sickbay, USS Alchemy=-


Salvek excused himself from Wren, Tam and Kellyn, as he saw Doctor Hubbard crossing sickbay. He raised his voice to get the man's attention.

"A moment please, Doctor." Hubbard looked up from the report he was reading and paused, glancing up at Salvek.

"You must be Commander Salvek. Could I have a word with you please? It's about Sickbay protocol. You and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting, but this has come to my attention." Hubbard said. Not always the brightest when it came to diplomacy, a “bull in a china shop,” when a cause was involved, best described Jack.

"Of course Doctor, forgive me for not welcoming you aboard formally. I would like to have a word with you, unless of course I am interfering with your care of Mister Dengar." Salvek glanced over at the curtained area.

"Actually, it's about Vol. Who the hell is he, and does he speak for the Captain? Two stasis patients were beamed into Sickbay without any notice. Vol is the first person that shows up, and his arrogant attitude was less than enthralling. Still I have no idea just what the hell is going on in my Sickbay."

Salvek nodded, understanding the man's frustration, and followed Hubbard through the door. Hubbard sat as his desk, and Salvek chose to sit across from him at eye level to make the man more comfortable. Non-Vulcans seemed to have a habit of relating to people better if they were not being towered over.

"First off Doctor, on behalf of the crew, let me welcome you aboard." Salvek offered the man his hand, and Hubbard reached out to grasp Salvek's. The First Officer was surprised at the strength of the man's grip, and returned the shake with equal intensity.

"Thank you very much. I feel at home already sir." Hubbard said, making it sound more like a generic pleasantry then a sincere comment.

"Secondly, I was just wondering Doctor how you are settling in? Do you have any questions or concerns I could help clear up for you? Obviously, you do, judging by your comments out in Sickbay." Salvek said calmly, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm not needy, but I'm also not accustomed to not knowing the goings-on in Sickbay. I'm used to having total run of the med centers. I don't mean to unload on you sir, but I'm surprised I'm not in the brig for pistol-whipping the, what, Counselor? What if I commandeered his patients?"

Salvek raised his hand to settle the Doctor down. "I'm afraid the Counselor has recently undergone a life altering event. We had to leave Betazed on somewhat short notice, and the decision to transfer Vol's acquaintances in stasis had to be made with equal haste before the Captain departed. Normally, yes, you would have been informed well ahead of time to prepare Sickbay, but we did not have that luxury at the time."

Hubbard appeared clearly unsatisfied with the response.

"I see. I'm not unfamiliar with emergency situations, but this man seemed to take great delight in flaunting the fact that he knew what was going on, and was quite amused that the rest of us were in the dark." Hubbard paused, "Sir, if this is an issue, and you perceive me as a thorn, I'll gladly tender my transfer request. My service wherever I've been has been exemplary. I am a little unorthodox at times, but productive. I want you and I to be on level ground here."

Salvek once again tried to explain why Vol Tryst would have been short with the Doctor earlier. "I assure you, no transfer request is necessary. I am sure you are accustomed to a certain decorum in your Sickbay, and when the sanctity of your realm is violated in some way it is only natural to be upset."

"Were you a Counselor before you entered Command?" Hubbard asked tongue in cheek, wondering if Salvek was attempting to psychoanalyze him.

"Engineer actually." Salvek answered simply. "I will issue a standing order, with the Captain's approval, that in the future all personnel or passengers to be transferred to Sickbay for non-emergency reasons shall first be cleared with the CMO."

Salvek leaned forward and rested his forearms on the desk.

"As for the Counselor, as I said, he has recently undergone a life altering event, which could explain his behavior, especially towards a new crew member he had not met. I could speak with him if you wish, about your concerns, but I believe once the two of you have the chance to meet in a more relaxed environment, that any issues between you will be resolved quickly."

"No need sir, thank you. I'm sure the two of us will have a chance to clear the air," Hubbard sat back and wondered what he had gotten into. He would have given a month's credits to be back with Alorha.

"We are a close knit group, Doctor. That can sometimes have a negative effect when someone new feels like an outsider. The Captain has a way of making everyone feel welcome, and in her absence I'd like to help you feel welcome as well." Salvek thought for a moment what else he could offer. "Dinner."

"Dinner?"

"Yes. When we meet the Serendipity I would be honored if you would dine with my family and I in the lounge. I'm afraid I only know of you what is in your personnel file."

"You're probably right. It would be my pleasure," offered a sincere Hubbard.

Salvek nodded to the Doctor and excused himself, satisfied that he had tended to the flock for today, and all was well aboard USS Alchemy. More or less anyway... He reentered the main of Sickbay, and took his wife aside.

"Kellyn, we will be making a transwarp jump soon. Is today the day we test the latest modifications?"

"Now is as good a time as any, Salvek," she said. Despite her sadness of the plight of Rada Dengar, there was a small glimmer of excitement in her eyes of what was to come next.

"I'll need you in Engineering then, as soon as you are available; but by all means, stay with Wren and Tam for as long as you wish. You know I would prefer you and Rada both in Engineering for this test, but if need be, I will conduct the test from Engineering myself. No one should be alone when a loved one is injured."

Lt. CMDR. Jack Hubbard
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity/Alchemy

and

Commander Salvek
First Officer
USS Serendipity/Alchemy