577: The Mother Hen

by Dabin Reece
91008.2300
Evening, the same day as
May I Have Your Attention, Please 
Soundtrack: Family by Randy Newman

-=Personal Quarters of Grace and Reece=-


“Is it too hot?”

“No Dabin.”

“Are you sure? Sometimes the replicator makes it too hot. Maybe I should replicate an ice cube for you.”

Dabin buzzed around the table like a gnat, wafting the steam away from her noodle soup, scooting her chair, and fiddling with her silverware. February simply tried to get a grip on her spoon so she could actually eat.

“Crackers?”

“Maybe a couple, that would be nice.”

“Saltine? Butter? Oyster? Melba? Cheese-It?”

“Oh, um, butter crackers will be fine.”

“Regular? Reduced Sodium? Reduced fat? Roasted vegetable flavor? Honey butter?”

“Just, plain, Dabin, will be fine.” February enjoyed the attention, to a certain extent. To a larger extent, she worried she may never get a moments peace during her pregnancy. He bounced to the replicator, produced her crackers, and set them beside her bowl of soup on the table.

“Maybe I should have the doctor make sure that soup isn’t too hot for the baby.”

“Dabin, it doesn’t exactly work that way, you know…”

“McKay to Reece quarters, please. Medical assistance needed.” Dabin called, before Bru could even finish her sentence. She rolled her eyes and reached for her spoon. “WAIT! The Doctor hasn’t checked that yet!”

Again she rolled her eyes and reached for a cracker instead, as her stomach growled. “WAIT!”

She jumped back, “What now? Afraid I’m going to scratch my cheek and get an infection?”

“No. Don’t you want to dip the cracker in your soup?”

“YES! More than anything!”

“Now that you mention it about the infection though…”

Before she could respond, McKay shimmered into existence in their quarters.

“What’s got a bee in your bonnet Commander?” Dalton asked.

“Is that soup too hot for the baby?” Dabin asked.

McKay reached out, stuck his index finger in the bowl for a moment, and then withdrew it.

“Seventy degrees centigrade.” McKay said.

“I’m not eating that now!” February protested.

“So, what will happen if she eats it?” Dabin asked.

“Well,” McKay began, and his face became deadly serious. “She’ll DIE! For Lord’s sake Commander Reece the next time you need a thermometer the replicator can provide you one.”

He leaned in close to February and whispered to her. “Rectal ones too if he keeps up the mother hen bit, darlin’.”

“That’s all wonderful, but I’m not eating this soup, he stuck his finger in it!”

“It’s just a bunch of photons darlin’, no reason to worry. Just like shinin’ a flashlight in there.”

“But, eww, I don’t know where that finger has been!”

“It hasn’t been anywhere. Oh, why am I killin’ myself? Computer! Another bowl of soup for the lady, seventy degrees centigrade!” McKay retrieved the fresh bowl, set it down, and tossed the old one back in the replicator.

“Doctor, while you’re here, I have a few questions for you about the labor and delivery process.” Reece stated.

“You’ll have to make an appointment like everyone else and weren't you a woman once? Hasn't your symbiont been through this a time or ten?”

Dabin pouted. “Been a looong time and I need a refresher. So refresh me! How will we know when the birth canal is dilated enough for the baby to safely, you know, get this party started?”

“I’m trying to eat!” February nearly cried.

“Good night, Reece family!” McKay was gone before Reece could say another word.

“Oh, look at that, his program is malfunctioning, I’ll bring him back.”

“I think he left on purpose, sweetie.” February finally got the warm soup to her lips for the first sip.

“How’s your emotional state? Any mood swings? Maybe I should just have a Counselor have a chat with you.”

“Dabin,” She began, “Come here.”

He sat next to her, and she took his hand, and placed it over her belly. “Talk to your child, while I eat my soup.”

“Hi there little guy, or gal. I’m your daddy. This wonderful woman here is your mommy. She’s going to be a great mommy, I just know it. And I know from great mommies, so you can trust my judgment. She’s sweet, loving, affectionate and responsible.” He looked up at her and grinned in the knowing way only he could. “And beautiful.”

“You and I are going to have so much fun. First I’m going to take you to the holodeck and show you Trill.”

February tried to choke back the tears as she ate her soup.

“Then I’m going to play peek-a-boo with you until you giggle. Then I’m going to sing this song I picked out today, when it’s time for bed. Are you ready?"

He began to sing.

Dabin felt the splash of a tear hitting the back of his head, and straightened back up in his seat.

“Uh oh, it’s raining. Am I killing you with the song, February?” Dabin asked.

“Yeah,” She squeaked out. “You’re going to make such a wonderful father.”

“Everything I am is inspired by you. If I’m a good father it’s only because I’m so lucky to have you as the mother of my child.”

“Oh, now you're just flattering me,” She said, wiping the tears away and laughing softly.

“You deserve it.”

Dabin cleaned up her bowl, as February returned to her rocker and the baby booties she had been working on. For all the concerns and worries she had about the future, she knew she could trust Dabin to always be there for her and their child. Maybe there were things that would happen that were too big to stop completely, but at least they would be strong together.

He sat beside her, and took up a crochet hook of his own.

“Scarf of blanket?” He asked.

“Blankie.”

“Oh, is that the correct pronunciation? No ‘t’ on the end?”

“Yuh,” She said, grinning. “Might I suggest white, every child needs a white blankie.”

They sat quietly, crocheting for several minutes before Dabin finally broke the silence.

“So, do you want to discuss names?”

Commander Dabin Reece
Daddy to Be
USS Serendipity NCC 2012

-=/\=-