576: The Guard at the Gate

by TC Blane and Admiral Lassiter
81013.13
Following Missing Pieces
and Concurrent with The Question

-=Conference Room One: USS Serendipity=-

TC paused outside of the conference room and adjusted his uniform before walking in to see the Admiral.

Once through the door he made his way to stand at parade rest in front of her.

“You wanted to see me, Sir?” He asked.

Admiral Lassiter looked up at the Sera’s second officer and immediately noted the lack of emotion on his face; he was a blank page. She found that odd considering how colorful his personnel dossier was.

She then noticed his eyes. A deep icy blue that radiated both intelligence and distrust. Apparently Vox' caustic influence had run deeper than she had first thought, touching officers beyond the captain.

She sighed heavily, she had a lot of fences to mend, or, she suspected in the case of the man before her, to build from the ground up.

"Commander Blane,"

"Sir."

"Take a seat,"

"I prefer to stand. Sir."

"What is it with you Serendipity people? You never want to sit down." She set down the PADD she was reviewing and looked up at him.

"It's harder to catch a man unaware of he's on his guard, Sir."

"True. So. You were Spec Ops for most of your career before you joined The Alchemy Project, and you've never worked for Temporal Investigations. Tell me. What did you think of your first paradox experience?

TC thought for a moment before answering. “Ultimately a good man is alive and his son is safe. I would call that aspect of the mission a success. As far as what the Slyph subjected us to, it was disturbing but not real. I think those who experienced the visions will be fine given enough time.”

She offered no immediate response.

“Permission to speak freely?” He asked a moment later.

Lassiter simply nodded.

“It was another mission that did not need to happen if we would just leave keep paws off of the timeline.” He folded his arms across his chest, staring at her. “We need to stop allowing people to play god. Absolute power will corrupt absolutely.” His reference to Vox was unmistakable.

“This ship and crew has been exposed to danger and put into harm's way on the whims of power tripping officers for far too long. I understand Vox will pay for his sins and believe me that warms my heart in ways I cannot put into words.” He stared intently, eyes remaining ice cold. “Please tell me, Sir, that you plan to correct the errant ways of your predecessor.”

It suddenly dawned on the Admiral that TC Blane was more than the second officer of the Serendipity. He was the self-anointed step parent of the ship's crew and guardian of the bridge staff, his captain in particular. He was the big Doberman that guarded the front door and she imagined that his bite was far worse then his bark.

"Correct them?" Lassiter slowly stood from her chair, which was an exercise in futility if she was trying to look physically intimidating. The woman barely came up to TC's shoulder. Still, she was wearing the bars, she had to have done something to earn them.

"I take what Jonas did to this program, and your captain and crew very seriously. As director of the Temporal Emergency Management Agency the past decade, I can't tell you the headaches that man has caused me professionally." She tilted her head to the side, "Off the record..."

She waited for Blane to indicate his understanding before continuing.

"As Jonas Vox' original Temporal Jump partner, and even moreso as his ex-wife, I cannot tell you the trouble the man has caused me, personally."

TC glanced down at the admiral, silently shocked at the revelation. “I don’t understand what that has to do with my question.”

"My point is, sometimes you just have to admit when a situation has gone bad for you personally, Mister Blane, and cut your losses. I know you're attached to this crew but," she wandered to the window and peered out.

"That's what I had to do with the marriage." She glanced back at him over her shoulder. "Back on the record, I can tell you that I also had to do the same thing professionally. I had other options, Thomas Cassius Blane, and so do you."

TC shifted uneasily, unsure where this conversation was going.

"There's a ship out there, in dock back at Planetia. She's having the final touches put onto her, before she's launched and on her way. That ship needs a First Officer, Mister Blane. That First Officer should be you."

TC stared at the admiral unsure what to say, or think. This certainly was not what he was expecting.

"Think of it. Standard, diplomatic and exploratory missions. No 'playing god with the timeline' as you so eloquently put it. No direct connections to TI or Spec Ops...just blissful, everyday duties aboard the finest ship in the fleet." She stepped closer to him now and the confidence in her voice, and the excitement in her eyes suddenly made her seem ten feet tall.

"I'll tell you honestly that it looks like Starfleet's first choice to captain the Zenith just turned the assignment down flat. But then, he has his reasons."

"O'Sullivan?"

"Oh, so you've met the man?" Lassiter's eyes flared in mock surprise as she made the joke, fully understanding how well Blane knew Keiran.

"Yes," Blane concurred, "He does have his reasons."

"Any interest in who is up for the job in his place? Before you make your decision about taking the XO slot?"

TC thought a moment before responding.

“No.” He finally said.

“Your not interested in who will be offered command?”

“No sir. I don’t think it is relevant.”

Lassiter leaned back, sitting down on the edge of the desk. “Really? Why not?”

“Because I don’t want the position. Thank you for the offer but I feel that my place is here.” He nodded to reaffirm his quick decision. “Here is where my loyalties are, this is where I need to be.”

"Suit yourself." She walked to the replicator. "Summerberry tea, hot, double sugar," A cup of steaming liquid appeared before her, so sweet smelling that it nearly made Blane's eyes water.

"Well, O'Sullivan has requested to stay here. He's going to be Starfleet's Security Liaison for The Alchemy Project. That means he works for me, but it also means that he will be bringing a host of new resources to you, with Starfleet's backing, that should help me, and help you," she smiled at him warmly, "...keep guard at the gate. Over her, and her ship. Over Salvek and his work. Over the good that this crew can do out there, working together. I've read the reports, I've seen the potential."

"Potential?" TC bristled. "That's a little harsh. You don't think we've proven we're living up to our potential?"

"I didn't say that," Lassiter returned to her chair. "What I meant was, when it comes to what this crew can accomplish, I don't think we've even scratched the surface yet."

TC nodded. “You have not idea sir.” He smiled with pride. “General George Patton once said; ‘Never tell someone how to do something, just tell them what you want and they will amaze you with their ingenuity.’ That is certainly this ship and crew.”

---------------------------------
Commander TC Blane
Second Officer/Chief of Operations
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

and

Admiral Lassiter
Director of The Alchemy Project