668: Spilling the Beans

by Jariel Camen
81123.1600
After Unfamiliar Faces in Familiar Places

-=Sickbay, USS Alchemy=-


“Could I possibly speak with Dane Cristiane? Who else is here from the Sera?” Camen asked, as he waited patiently for Hartcort to product the results of his scans.

“Um, who else? His name is Michael Samson I believe? I can call Mr. Cristiane for you if you like.”

“Micah, is his name,” Camen corrected. “Could you please page Dane?”

*Quite the skeleton crew,* Camen thought. He wondered what had everyone else so tied up. A degree of dread actually grew within him at the thought of what crisis would trump an outbreak of disease on Bajor for the Serendipity. No doubt this event was not taken lightly, so whatever else was going on must have been gravely dangerous.

“Dane Cristiane, please report to Sickbay.” Hartcort requested.

Fleur tended to the now sleeping Tress, holding a cool cloth to the child’s brow to absorb any amount of the fever she could. Camen experienced a rare emotion towards the child; one that only a parent could truly understand when a child was this ill.

Hopelessness.

Tress had been smiling and laughing away without a care in the world days ago, and her presence had lit up Camen like a ray of warm sunshine. She was so smart and attentive, and the way she interacted with Fleur was simply too adorable for description.

Now she was quite possibly in a fight for her life, and simply too young to even comprehend what her opponent was, let alone know how to fight it. It simply was not fair. As miserable as Camen was, he knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel. He knew he needed to rest, and ride out the pain until the fever broke.

Tress had no such knowledge that relief would come. All she knew in her waking hours was that everything hurt. Camen worried as well that Tress may be emotionally upset, wondering why Fleur and Camen were not helping her; taking away the pain. If she could only understand that he would have endured the fever for weeks if it meant she would not have to struggle through another day.

“You are all clear my friends.” Hartcort lowered the containment field, “I don’t believe you pose any threat to the people of Altaan. You can leave as soon as we land, but, if I could ask one favor of you Vedek Jariel?”

“Of course.”

“Doctor Adams and I have some research we would like to do on the vaccine you brought us that was distributed in the Plains. Do you think it possible you might be able to get us the production records, without the red tape,” Harcourt inclined his head as if to say, ‘You know what I mean.’

“I don’t think that should be a problem at all. I’ll send a few messages before I leave the ship and have the records sent to you here. You’ll probably have it within a few hours.”

“You asked to see me?” Dane Cristiane asked as he entered Sickbay. Jariel immediately noticed a difference in the man. He seemed to walk taller, and speak louder. More like a Starfleet Officer than a juvenile delinquent.

“Actually he did,” Hartcort said, motioning towards Jariel with his thumb.

“Dane,” Camen began with a smile.

“Vedek Jariel,” Cristiane approached him and shook his hand respectfully.

Dane looked over Camen’s shoulder at Fleur Le Marc, and actually blushed for a moment, recalling a time when the two of them had shared a rather uncomfortable moment months ago in the Afterthought Café. Fleur had kissed Dane rather passionately, but Dane knew she had wanted to really be kissing the man standing in front of him.

Fleur gave a polite smile, but was too busy fussing over Tress to exchange any other pleasantries.

“Is she all right?” Dane asked, indicating the child.

“No,” Camen answered, the smile fading from his face, “But you, Dane, are different. You’re in love aren’t you?”

The color drained from Dane’s face, as if he had just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Camen waved him off, and changed the subject quickly.

“Another time, my friend. How is the Sera?”

“One a top secret mission. Lassiter really clamped down on the details. Need to know basis only.”

“Lassiter?” Jariel asked. “Who’s that?”

Dane begged off, wanting very much to not spill any beans more then he had to. “A Starfleet Admiral. I’ll let someone give you the details when we return to the Serendipity.”

As he spoke, Azalea Adams entered sickbay, to go over the scan results with Hartcort.

“How did you and Fleur end up…” Dane began. “Traveling together?”

“A long story. A touch of Fate, I suppose. I was in the right place when she was in the wrong one, and we’ve been working together in the Plains ever since.”

“Camen, a moment?” Fleur interrupted Dane and Jariel, as her curiosity about the well being of the Sera got the better of her. Dane watched the two of them as she took Camen aside to whisper to him.

Camen stood very close to her when he spoke, and placed his hands on her shoulders to reassure her. The two of them then approached the sleeping child. Fleur seemed to be pointing something out to him. Camen nodded and brushed a stand of hair from the child’s face, before wrapping an arm around Fleur and embracing her.

Everything about the way Camen looked at her, touched her, spoke to her, led Dane to believe that perhaps Zanh Liis was not the only one who had found peace in a rediscovered love.

“Will we be landing soon?” Camen asked, as he returned his attention to Dane. “I’m anxious to return to the surface to help care for the ill.”

“Very soon,” Dane confirmed.

“Vedek Jariel, please have a look at this.”

Camen excused himself from Dane, and approached the woman who had entered Sickbay and was working with Lance Hartcort. Before she began, she introduced herself to the Vedek.

“Doctor Azalea Adams,” She said, extending a delicate hand. “And you are Jariel Camen, your shipmates have told me about you. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“How did you come to join the Alchemy crew Doctor?” Camen asked, honestly curious.

“I was on Earth. I had the chance to attend the wedding of my former Captain and the Serendipity’s. After that I planned on joining the Medical Corps on Bajor. Due to the fever outbreak it was decided that Lance and I would hasten our arrival on Bajor by taking the Alchemy. So, here I am.”

Once again the color drained from Dane’s face, and although Camen looked no worse for the wear, Dane felt as if he may pass out on his behalf.

“Well Bajor is lucky to have all the medical help it can get. On behalf of my home world, I’d like to welcome you. Your former Captain…I assume you mean Keiran O’Sullivan?” Camen said softly, as he looked over her shoulder at the data. He then glanced across the room at Fleur, who was still watching over Tress, and had heard nothing of the exchange between Adams and Jariel.

“That’s right. Sorry you missed the wedding. It was a lovely ceremony but I’m sure they will share all the details with you when you return to the ship. If I may, Vedek, I just wanted to confirm with you, who you know of that may have been passing back and forth between the Plains and the Altaan Orphanage.”

“Just myself and a young girl, named Milea. That is all I know of, Doctor.”

“Thank you. If you think of anyone else, let me know. Doctor Hartcort and I are assuming that is how the fever spread between provinces. Make sure you and your party stay in the area of the sanctuary at Altaan, we can’t risk the fever getting out of isolation.”

“Of course Doctor. Would you excuse me?”

Jariel motioned for Dane to follow him, as they stepped out into the corridor for privacy.

“I’m so sorry, Vedek Jariel. She didn’t know.”

Camen raised his hand. “It’s all right Dane. Please, just don’t tell Fleur.”

Don’t tell Fleur?” Dane asked, confused.

“Mr. Cristiane, Fleur did not receive the memories that Liis, Keiran and I did when we encountered the Sylph. She does not understand just how in love with her I am. From her point of view, it seems as if I’m merely choosing her because the Captain chose someone else, and if she finds out Liis and Keiran have wed, that would only reinforce that belief in her. A belief I can assure you is completely baseless.”

Camen grasped Dane by the shoulders, “I love her, Dane. We work so well together. I know we are just right for each other. She gives me the peace and fulfillment I’ve craved for so long. I know how much Liis means to you, and I hope you understand that I still care for her very much and I always will. I don’t want you to ever think I harbor any ill will towards her simply because we could never quite work things out between us.”

“Of course not. I can’t help but feel this must have been a shock to you though."

“If you understood what has happened to me, and how it has made me feel about Fleur Le Marc, you would understand why I’m not surprised right now to find about Liis and Keiran."

Thinking of his own Sylph experience living the Alternate Continuity Paradox, Dane nodded.

He understood better than Jariel knew.

“I’m sure the tale of how he returned to the ship is a grand one that you will have to share with me someday. Just tell me this one thing now. Is she happy?”

“I don’t believe she could be more so.” Dane answered.

“That is a ray of light I’ve tried to chase all my life. Have you ever tried to chase a ray of light? I can’t even describe to you how knowing that makes everything else in my life easier.”

Camen had wrestled with the thought that he and Fleur would fall madly in love all over again, have a grand wedding, a life of bliss together, and Zanh Liis would be out there alone, and unloved. The guilt of that ate away at him, even if he did know that he and Liis would not be able to work things out. Azalea Adams had, quite accidentally, filled in the last remaining hole in his heart.

“All I ever wanted was for her to have every joy in life, and I know she wanted the same for me. We just needed to learn that happiness wasn’t right in front of us, but rather over our shoulders.”

“No one will say a word to Fleur, you have my promise on that. I’ll make sure everyone understands.” Dane vowed.

Camen was so proud of Dane. He knew what a project the man had been for Liis. How many nights had she stomped around their quarters muttering Dane’s name through gritted teeth? The young man finally appeared to have two solid feet on the ground.

“I will tell Fleur myself, when the time is right. I may need you as a witness to convince her I did not know until now when that time comes, however. Don’t let the pastry fool you, she is a strong willed woman and a natural leader.” A grin played out across Camen’s face. “With a beautiful singing voice, I might add.”

As they spoke, there was a slight jolt underneath them.

“What was that?” Camen asked

“We’ve landed,” Dane said. “Time to go.”

******************

Jariel Camen
on Bajor