808: Operation Pink Sanity

by Lance Hartcort and February Grace
90307.01
Concurrent with Teamwork At Its Finest

-=USS Serendipity=-


Lance rang the chime to the Reece’s quarters and waited for someone to answer.

He occupied himself while he waited by carefully observing a particularly fine example of a female Starfleet engineer who happened to be passing in the corridor.

He was straining to follow her departure around the corner of the corridor by leaning on one leg when the door opened.

“Yes? Can I help you?” February asked as she frowned at the sight of the doctor tilting precariously outside of her door. “Doctor Hartcort?”

“One more second.” He continued to stare down the corridor until he was certain he could no longer follow the engineer with his eyes. Then he stood upright and turned to face Bru.

He held out his hand. “Hello Mrs. Reece. I am here for your medical follow-up.”

Bru slowly shook the doctor’s hand. “Hi. Umm…why didn’t you summon me to Sickbay?’ Her eyes widened with concern. “Is everything alright?” She had yet to meet with the Sera’s new CMO in a formal fashion yet and was instantly worried as to the reason he could be at her door.

“Oh, yes.” Lance smiled. “I just believe in house calls. Gets me out of the office.” He smiled warmly. “Sorry to show up unannounced. If you are busy I can come back another time.”

Bru exhaled in relief and then stepped aside. “Please come in.”

Lance strolled through the door and stood respectfully waiting for instructions as to where to go. Bru motioned towards a small kitchen table, and Lance helped himself to a seat after pulling out the opposing chair for February.

“So Mrs. Reece…” He folded his hands in front of him. “It is nice to meet you formally, finally.”

Bru giggled. So rarely did anyone refer to her by Dabin's last name, it was still a novelty. "You too. I'm sorry that I wasn't very exciting company upon our introduction."

"Well, can't really fault you for that. You were out cold."

"Still. Not exactly the way I usually make an entrance. Not the least bit entertaining, and I do so enjoy putting on a show."

Lance laughed. “Well your husband filled in for you well. He was quite entertaining.”

"It's part of his charm."

“So, as is customary when a new CMO takes over the reigns I am going over the current case files and reviewing them with the patients.” He smiled warmly. “I happen to have a special interest in yours because you happen to have had the privilege of giving me my ‘Welcome to the Serendipity first medical case’.”

"Oooo. I'm honored. I'll have to crochet you something by which to remember the event. Scarf? Socks? Your call."

“Scarf.” Lance answered without hesitation. “There are so many uses for a scarf.” He grinned and said nothing else.

Bru stifled a smirk as he continued. She may be an innocent by nature- but she also had every memory from the very colorful lifetime of Deveral Grace running around in her head.

Lance produced a PADD from the pocket of his lab coat. “So from the last exam everything seems to be progressing as well as can be expected. I see you are still off duty, following the my instructions I hope.”

"Yeah, light exercise. People in maximum security lockdown get more fresh air than I do." Bru snapped, not meaning to, but getting really truly sick of the interior of her quarters. "Sorry. I'm just...I'm a pilot. I'm used to sitting in the center of the bridge where all the excitement is happening and looking out through the big front window. This is getting a little old."

"Well the good news is you won't have to put up with it much longer. Trill pregnancies are much shorter than Human ones, count your blessings. Those run about forty weeks."

Bru's eyes grew larger. "Good thing I'm not Human."

"Do you have any concerns going forward that you'd like to talk about?"

"Yeah, my husband. As you know...you've met him..." Dabin had made quite an impression upon Hartcort the day they'd met while she was unconscious. "I'm afraid that he will pass out cold during the delivery."

"Well, about that. I've reviewed your record and I would like to recommend a planned c-section. You aren't the healthiest kitten in the litter, February, you never have been from what I've read in your file. I'm concerned about your heart as host but also to the stress on the symbiont if there was a long labor. So let's just plan on cutting to the chase, if you'll pardon the expression, and get it over with as soon as the baby is big enough."

"Which will be?"

"I figure about three more weeks at earliest if we're not going to have to keep the little woman in my Sickbay in an incubator for long. So let's hope for that."

"Hope?"

Lance sighed and patted her hand reassuringly. "Just want you to watch your blood pressure a bit okay? No big thing, but it's been a little erratic the past few times they've checked it and I want to keep an eye on it."

"Probably spikes after Dabin nags me to eat my asna."

Lance shuddered. "Who eats asna?"

"I do, because my good-intentioned husband makes me."

"Not anymore, he doesn't." Lance laughed, tapping orders into a PADD and handing them to her. He watched as a delighted smile appeared on her face. "Asna may be a great source of potassium but so are bananas. So there you go. No more asna by order of the CMO."

"Doctor Hartcort, don't take this the wrong way, but I love you."

Lance laughed, grinning wickedly. "All the ladies do."

Lance placed the PADD on the table. “There is one more thing. I have a favor to ask.”

Bru’s eyebrows rose. “Sure, I mean, if I'm any good to you. I'm about as useful as a spork in a snowstorm at the moment, but hey, if I can help...”

“I am planning to redecorate Sickbay while we are here for repairs and I have access to all of the materials I might need. I don’t know about you but it is very…Starfleet Medical like.” He scratched his chin. “Too hospital like. I don’t know about you but I HATE hospitals.”

"Oh yeah," Bru agreed, not wanting to think about how much time she had spent staring at unsightly. nauseating green hospital walls back on Trill. "I'm there."

“I want to make it more fun, you know. More ‘bedside manner and feel good’ than ‘hold on this is gonna hurt’. If you get my drift.”

"Let alone 'turn your head and cough...' Bru winced. From her tone it was obvious that Grace remembered being male very clearly.

“I’ve done an impromptu survey of the crew that are still onboard and they all say that you, and your husband, are the ones to contact to help me with this little project. You will not be doing anything but interior design while sitting in a nice comfy chair. Did I mention I am scrapping the existing accoutrements?”

He smiled. “So what do you say? You have the opportunity to design the room that you will most likely give birth in?”

"Dude. I'm flattered." February grinned. "Now I know I love you. But just one word of caution. You might have to reign me in..."

"Why would I have to do that?"

The Trill pointed to her clothing; she was dressed in pink from head to toes.

Lance shrugged. “Pink is a very therapeutic color.”

"Oh, and have you seen my husband's laboratory?"

"No..." Lance began slowly..."Should I?"

"Well, just that he keeps colored Christmas lights hanging up in there all year long and he's doesn't even celebrate the holiday. He likes 'em 'cause they're 'pretty'. Bru explained. "So if you put us on the job, you may end up with something a lot less medical and a lot more...well, amusement park on the Vegas strip."

“Sounds right up my alley. Just remember that it still is Sickbay and has to stay functional and safe for staff and patients.” Lance added.

"Safe. gotcha. I promise you, we'll put the 'fun' back in functional. Now, were you thinking wallpaper or paint?" Bru felt happier, and less tense, then she could remember since the moment she found out she was expecting. This was a good thing. "How do you feel about carpeting? Let's talk swatches."

“Paint, and carpet is fine excluding the treatment and operating rooms of course.” Lance quickly added.

He stood up from the chair and slid the PADD to Bru. “Sounds like you are up for the job. All of Sickbay's dimensions are on there as well as my account numbers and contact information for Starfleet's acquisitions department as well as a few on-world suppliers that I know.”

February moved to stand but Lance held her in her seat with a gentle hand to her shoulder. “I’ll see you in my office at ten tomorrow morning. You are due for your next prenatal exam so we’ll get that out of the way and then I’ll turn you and whoever you want to draft to help you loose on Sickbay.”

"Looking forward to it." Bru smiled, and she really meant it.

“One more thing, since you are accustomed to Dr. McKay you can have him continue to perform the exams if you would be more comfortable. I would not take offense.”

"You...wouldn't mind?" Bru shuffled her fuzzy-slipper covered feet nervously. "My slug may be older than dirt...but I'm still a little...shy."

"No problem. I'll still be around in the morning and will keep up with your records just in case." Lance nodded and smiled.

"You're a prince."

“Excellent. I’ll see you in the morning then.”

As he left the Reece’s quarters and made his way back to Sickbay, Lance tapped his badge. “Dr. Hartcort to Counselor Tryst.”

[What can I do for you doctor?]

Operation Pink Sanity is underway.” Lance said with a broad smile.

There was a pause while Vol processed what the doctor was talking about.

Then, realizing that Lance was referring to February Grace and her case of cabin fever he snickered.

[Understood doctor. Thank you. Tryst out.]

Commander Lance Hartcort
CMO
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

and

Lt. February Grace
Starfleet's Newest Interior Decorator
USS Serendipity NCC-2012