796: He Walks With a Purpose: Two

by Jariel Camen
90228.2200
…continued from part one…

-=Flash=-


Once again, Jariel was caught in a vision, only this time it was at the call of the Prophets themselves, not one of the orbs. A female, in the form of his long lost mother, approached him, smiling, and caressing his face with her hands.

“The Jariel is welcomed home.”

“Home?” He asked.

“You have done as we asked, and returned to us.”

Jariel laughed, “You mean, I am no longer with Zanh Liis, and you are pleased?”

“Correct, you have been restored to the proper path.”

Jariel’s stomach lurched, and he as if he would be ill. Whatever reasons existed in this time for he and Liis to choose separate paths were theirs alone. They certainly had nothing to do with getting back into the good graces of the Prophets. Every attempt he ever made to please them had brought him nothing but pain.

“And your love, Fleur Le Marc, shall be rewarded for helping you see the proper path, as we promised.”

Jariel paused, not sure he understood what was just said. “I beg your pardon? You promised her a reward?”

“If she placed herself between you and Zanh Liis, and restored you to our good graces.”

“You think this all your doing don’t you? That everything that has happened in my life to lead me to where I am now is the result of your clever schemes. What is it that makes you so insecure? Why is it you need my loyalty, praise and obedience so much?”

It had bothered him for years. Why beings so powerful felt the need to be worshiped if they were to share their love. Was it not enough for them to have the power to help Bajor? For all Camen had done for Bajor and his friends in his lifetime, he had never once expected anyone to drop to a knee and sing his praises to the masses.

“We only humbly ask you to spread our word, to the people of Bajor. That is all.” The Prophet said.

“The word of life? Of hope? Of salvation? Tell me, where was the salvation for my sister, Relanna? Did she call to you for your help?”

“She is blessed. She walks with the Prophets now, Jariel.”

The Prophet stepped aside, and a woman stepped forward. His sister, fully grown, smiling softly, and beautiful beyond any words.

Seeing her smiling face brought Camen nothing but sadness.

“It was not her time.” He said, his voice weak and cracking. “She never had a chance at life.”

“She is to be envied, Jariel.”

“Envied?” He approached Relanna, but dared not touch her. “When will I get to hear about her first time falling in love? Who will stand beside her, when she takes a fine man’s hand in marriage? When will I get to hold her newborn child for the first time, and tell them they are as beautiful as their mother?”

“You should not let your own selfish concerns prevent you from embracing the gift she has received. You will have that gift as well, the gift of our love, not that your path is corrected.”

Jariel stepped back, away from his sister, and directed his words to the Prophets.

“And you believe that now that I am with Fleur, my rebellious streak, and ‘selfish concerns’ as you call them, will end, and I will simply bow at your feet as you always wished I would?”

As angry as he had been for years, at all that they had done to disrupt his attempts to build a life with Liis, the idea that they had dragged an innocent such as Fleur into their scheme absolutely enraged him.

“You do realize I chose to be with her of my own free will? I fell in love with her just for simply who she was, not because of anything you did. Her love is unconditional and sincere, for myself and Bajor. Perhaps it would do you well to learn from her.”

As the pieces fell into place in Jariel’s mind, he wondered honestly if the Prophets had even followed through on any “promises” to help her.

When she left the Alchemy, it was with the understanding that Jariel could never return her affections. It was not until Camen returned to Bajor, and fell in love with her all over again, that the two of them became a couple, and that was a change in him that the Prophets had no hand in whatsoever.

If anything, Jariel believed, Fleur had abandoned the instructions of the Prophets and left Jariel behind because she truly believed he would be happier without her in his life. His happiness was all that mattered to her, no matter what happened to her own life.

That only made him love her more.

A sense of peace washed over his heart and soul, as he realized just how loved and blessed he truly was. Perhaps if he left Bajor, they would take his voice again, as they did before, but none of it mattered. He knew Fleur would always be at his side, regardless of anything else.

They would have each other on the Sera, beautiful young Tress, and everyone else around them who loved them exactly as they were. Camen would always have the memories of his sister and be at peace with them. He was not about to let those memories be used to manipulate him. Relanna would never have wished for that.

The arrogance of the Prophets made no difference to him anymore. For the first time in his life, he had everything he needed, and could ask for nothing more.

Camen approached Relanna. “There was a time, sister, when I believed everyone lost on Bajor would be reunited here. But I just don’t trust that anymore. I haven’t for a long time. So I’m going to live my life, for all it’s worth, and make whatever choices bring me joy. If we meet again, so be it. If not, so be it. I will always love you with all my heart, all the same.”

The anger in him melted away, his heart rate slowed…

…and suddenly, he was returned to Bajor. He heard the sound of birds chirping and leaves rustling in the breeze outside the Temple. Camen’s eyes focused, and he looked around, seeing that he was indeed back and no longer in their realm. However, his moment of peace was short-lived, and he immediately found himself in their presence again.

“How did you do that?”

“Do what?” Jariel asked.

“You left of your own free will.”

“I did?” The news was as shocking to Camen as it was to the Prophet. He recalled his previous conversation, and brought the subject of Fleur up once again.

“You are never to contact her again, I demand it. She is not a puppet to be toyed with for your amusement.”

“So be it. We no longer require her assistance. Our goals are already accomplished.”

Camen did not even hear the Prophets words. The peace in his soul brought him a comfort that they never could, or ever would. Once again the vision began to fade, and Camen realized that somehow he could control the vision, by letting go of his anger. He turned towards the Prophet to speak, and by his own free will, the vision once again solidified around him.

“I don’t know how, but I can control this.”

“You.” Camen continued, with unwavering confidence in himself. “Will never, ever interfere with my life again. I know down there on Bajor is a woman who loves me with all she is, for exactly what I am, and I know now I love her as well. This time I can give all of myself to her, and that is all I need.”

The Prophet’s features turned dark. “Do not make us start all over again. Do not make us take your voice again.”

“You cannot. It is you, now, who are silenced.”

Camen let his heart fill with peace, and shut the Prophets out. Once again he found himself on Bajor. He felt their pull, trying to bring him back, but he prevented it. They would never speak to him again, unless he wished it.


He ran from the room, to the nearest transporter.

“The Orphanage at Altaan.” He ordered, jumping onto the pad. The transport cycle seemed to take forever. The orphanage took shape around him, and he spun around, searching for Fleur. She was as she always was at this time of the day, working on lunch for the children in the kitchen.

He ran, with a purpose, inside and to her. She heard his footsteps approaching, and looked up into his eyes. The mere sight of him made her heart race.

“Fleur.” He gasped, trying to catch his breath.

“Yes, Camen?” She sang the name, more than spoke it, and wondered why he appeared to be so desperate to find her.

“Fleur, I am in love with you.”

She reached out, and twisted one of the beautiful dark curls of hair upon his head around her fingers.

“And I am in love with you, Jariel Camen.”

“How can I show you I love you with all my heart, that I belong only to you, Fleur?”

Whatever had happened to him this morning had left him clearly desperate to express to her once again how much he loved her, and Fleur was not about to stop him. She closed her eyes, and he closed the gap between them. Camen pressed his lips to hers, and she savored his kiss. The scent, the taste, left no doubt Jariel Camen was hers.

-=That Evening=-


“Are you sure you will not come with us, Azalea? Tress will miss you so. I am sure I place could be found for you in the Sickbay.”

Fleur stood with Jariel, Tress and their luggage on the transporter pad. They had said their goodbyes to the children at the orphanage, and been accompanied by Timal and Azalea Adams to the transporter hub. High above, the Federation transport ship awaited their arrival, before it would depart for Earth.

Gillan Pace had said his farewell, as best as he could through the tears, back at the orphanage as well.

“I know Fleur, I think I will just remain here for now, and see where Bajor and Starfleet take me. I promise I’ll record a message for Tress every week, so she does not miss me too badly."

Fleur wanted to protest further, but Jariel suggested that it was best to let the Doctor follow her own path, when she felt it was clear to her.

Now was not the time to discuss why the doctor would prefer not to serve aboard the Serendipity.

Timal stepped forward, and placed a kiss on the forehead of Fleur and Tress both. He then slowly shuffled to the left, lifting his head up to look at Jariel. He extended a hand toward Jariel that contained a slightly crumpled scroll tied with a red ribbon.

“Please give this to Zanh Liis,” Timal asked.

“Of course,” Jariel said, slipping the scroll into his pocket. “May I ask what it is?”

“No," Timal answered slowly. "You may not."

Jariel looked disappointed, but Timal grinned.

“Have you no sense of humor, Camen? I have had the chance to see you happy and in love at last. I only ask Zanh Liis for the chance to see her the same way as well, before an old Vedek leaves this life.”

“You have my word, it will be done.” Camen hugged Timal, hoping it was not the last time he would do so.

He stepped back onto the transporter pad, and Timal and Adams stepped back clear.

Camen nodded to the operator, who checked the coordinates one last time.

“Wait!” A voice called from far off.

Fleur looked into the distance, where she saw Gillan Pace struggling with a duffel too large for him to carry, running as fast as he could towards the transport hub.

“Stop!” Jariel shouted at the operator. He stepped off the pad and rushed to meet Pace, who dropped the duffel in exhaustion when Camen reached him.

“Jariel, sir,” Pace huffed through labored breaths. “I cannot say goodbye to Tress, or you, or Fleur. Is it too late?” His eyes pleaded.

Jariel lifted Pace’s bag and slung it over his own shoulder. “It is never too late. Come, let us go to your sister.”

Pace took his place with his family on the transporter pad, and Jariel once again nodded to the operator.

Bajor faded from view, and the interior of the Starfleet transport vessel took shape around them. They took their seats and watched out the window as the vessel leapt to warp, on course for Earth.

***********************
Jariel Camen
Ship’s Chaplain, once again
USS Serendipity NCC-2012


NRPG: Bravo, Jariel. Bravo. ~ZL