977: The End Game

by Lance Hartcort and Alison Schneider
91022..2100
Following Happy Daydreams of Riches and Naked Humans

-=Outside Dron’s Quarters at Starfleet Research, San Francisco=-


Alison and Lance waited until they were outside, and more importantly out of earshot of Dron, before laughing. Strolling down the steps of the building, an annex of the Starfleet Science complex, Alison looped her arm through Lance's and said, "So, while we're out here laughing about how you smoothly talked your way into this deal, he's in there already counting his profit."

"Let him," Lance replied with a smile. "I'm more concerned with my patient."

"I swear, if I did not know you better, then I would have actually believed your line about leaving Starfleet and making profit." Then she added, "Not that getting paid for your work does not have its advantages."

“Advantages? Sure I guess so.” He shrugged. “But in all honesty money does not give us any of the challenge, excitement, or adversity that we get with Starfleet.”

He looked at her. “I mean that, and the virtually unlimited access to anything that we need to get the job done.” He smiled. “Dinner?”

"Only if you’re buying." She turned toward him and batted her eyes playfully. "After all, you're the one about the rake in all of the profit."

"What shall I do with all of that gold pressed latinum?"

Alison chuckled. "Spend it on a woman or two."

Lance looked shocked. “As if! That is what this incredible natural charm and good looks is for.”

He smiled. “Come on! I know a place in San Diego.”

-=A Short Transporter Trip Later=-


“The zoo?” Alison asked as they were seated at table in the Wild Serengeti Restaurant at the San Diego Zoo. They were seated on the balcony overlooking the Zoo’s Serengeti enclosure. A Joshua Tree sat directly in front of them and several member of the zoo’s resident lion pride were lounging under it.

Lance looked up from the menu he had picked up. “Why, you don’t like animals?”

Alison smiled. “No, that's not it at all. It’s just that I was expecting, well, expecting something a bit more suave.”

An innocent look crossed Lance’s face. “Really? Why would that be?”

“Your…” Alison smiled. “…reputation.” She repeated Lance's proclaimed motivation to Dron.

Lance put down the menu and a serious look crossed his face. “Alison, you are an esteemed colleague of mine and I am simply showing my appreciation for your assistance today. True, I will admit, if you were anyone else that I did not have a long working relationship with, I more than likely have taken you to one of the several romantic haunts that I know.”

Lance picked up his menu and began to look it over again. “Of course, I could just be working to get you to let you guard down and then dive in and sweep you off your feet. I am crafty like that.” He grinned from behind the menu.

Alison dropped her menu down on to the table with a laugh. "I don't doubt that." She looked across the table at him, or rather at the menu which he was still hiding behind. "But that is assuming that I actually wanted to be swept off my feet." She then playfully shrugged her shoulders and picked her menu back up. "Or be charmed for that matter by your all too evident graces."

Now it was Lance's turn to lower his menu and look across the table. "Are you suggesting that the chase is more exciting than the endgame?"

"Sometimes, yes. And I'd challenge you to prove otherwise, but I think I might have more fun teasing you."

“Ooooo…” Lance picked up the menu. “Teasing, I like that.”

They both laughed as the waiter showed up to take their orders. After he'd done that he filled their wine glasses and then he retreated to deliver their meal requests to the kitchen.

Lance picked up his glass in a toast. “To a job well done, and to your skills as a ear lobe masseuse.”

"And, more importantly, to your future success helping that little girl." They clinked glasses and sampled the wine.

After taking a sip, Lance glanced at the wine with appreciation. "I sometimes wonder if the original Starfleet founders chose California for this reason."

Swirling her own glasses, Alison replied, "For the wine?"

"Yes."

"It could be. I always assumed that it was for the weather."

Lance took a look outside at the beautiful, warm weather. "Also a good point. And it sure beats the weather the last time we had dinner."

Alison laughed. She also set down her wine glass so as not to spill any, as her hands were also shaking. She too remembered that dinner, on a nice quiet yacht with idyllic weather, great food, and charming company. And then it had all gone to hell when the holodeck had failed and to get out the program they had to sail to the arch because it was in the middle of the ocean. "I have not been able to eat on a boat, a real one even, ever since that night."

Lance laughed.

“Yes, I have to say my view on seacraft has changed since then.” He smiled his patented smile. “But my view is still the same about the company, beautiful and charming.”

"If I'm still so beautiful and charming, how come I didn't get flowers this time?"

"Are you teasing me?" he asked in a lighthearted tone.

"You did say that you liked it."

"Touché.." Lance smiled as he took another sip of the wine. “You know, I could use your help with this. I’m confident that I’d figure it out of course, but you are a great scientist and the interface that is needed will probably be more hard core technology then biomechanics.” He smiled. “Would be fun to work with you.”

"The offer is tempting, but my knowledge of the device is really limited to what I have been able to convince Dron to tell me. Besides, for the sake of your patient, it might be best for me not to be present. If Kelvik ever found out..."

"It's my Sickbay and my patient," Lance said, repeating his sentiment from earlier that day.

"And I respect that. But the last thing your patient needs is for you to be called away for a medical ethics hearing if the pointy-eared son of a bitch got wind of anything."

Lance sighed. “Ok fine, but we would make a great team.”

“Yeah.” Alison agreed.

[USS Serendipity to Commander Hartcort]

Lance sighed. “Hartcort here.”

[Sorry to inform you doctor but you are being recalled to the ship. We have new orders and will be departing in about twelve hours.] TC Blane’s voice boomed over the comm..

Lance looked at Alison. “Ok. I’ll return shortly.”

[Understood doctor, just give us a shout when you are ready to come home but doctor, don’t take too long. Serendipity out.] The channel closed.

Lance smiled at Alison. “I am afraid I am going to have to give you a rain check, for now.”

“Wait,” Alison said wearily, but with a smile nonetheless. “I think ‘rain’ check might be a bad choice of words, given our history."

“Then I’ll see you next time we are back in the area.” He grabbed and kissed her hand. “Thanks for your help. I’ll keep you informed of how things turn out.”

He tapped his badge. “Hartcort to Serendipity, one to beam up.”

*********************
LT. Commander Lance Hartcort
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

&

LT. Alison Schneider
Science Research Officer
Starfleet Research, San Francisco