215: Coffee Break

By Lieutenant Dr. Terasha
Ensign Kathy Miller
80315.19
Following As a Jaybird

-=Sickbay USS Serendipity=-


After giving Dalca a shot to temporarily give him more control over his pheromones, and releasing him from isolation, Terasha went into her office and plopped heavily into her chair.

What a day! In fact, what a last few days. She rubbed her eyes and took a deep breath, her antennae drooping forward. Now that she wasn't fighting to maintain control, she was able to relax.

After a few minutes of silence, Terasha sighed again and began writing her report on Dalca. When she had finished, she wrote another report, this one to Captain Zanh. In it, she informed the captain that Dalca was under her care, but did not say what the problem was. She stated that he was fit for duty, but if the treatment failed, he would get worse, and become unfit, and other measures would need to be taken.

Terasha tapped her comm badge.

"Computer, where is Kathy Miller?"


-= Illusions Lounge =-



Terasha walked into the lounge and immediately saw Kathy sitting by herself at a table in the far corner. Meandering through the lounge, Terasha stopped at Kathy's side.

"May I join you?" she asked.

Kathy didn't look up, but motioned for Terasha to sit.

"What are you drinking?" asked Terasha after she was seated.

"Coffee," said Kathy.

Terasha's antennae bounced in amusement, but Terasha kept quiet. She knew Kathy hated coffee, so the irony of her drinking it after what had happened, made Terasha want to laugh. However, that wouldn't have been a good idea.

"Kathy, I want to get right to the point." Terasha lowered her voice almost to a whisper, so no one around them would hear. "Dalca is half Deltan. Because of exposure to radiation from 626, he lost the ability to control the production of his pheromones."

Kathy looked up, surprise in her eyes.

"I didn't want you near him under those circumstances. I was having a difficult time maintaining professionalism and control, and you know what a stuffy butt I am."

Kathy chuckled.

"I was just trying to protect you."

Kathy looked into Terasha's eyes, an awkward silence between them. Finally, she spoke.

"I appreciate what you were trying to do, but you didn't need to protect me. I know how to be completely professional, even under extreme conditions."

"I know you do," said Terasha, "but...."

"But nothing," interrupted Kathy. Her tone showed she was becoming irritated. "Do you remember Rexna III?"

Terasha nodded.

"I was three months out of Starfleet Medical," said Kathy. "We went into the middle of a huge battle, to treat the wounded from the ambassador's staff. I did my duty. Same with when we were stranded on Ision IV during the outbreak of the Sarcean flu. I can give you example after example. I've always separated my fun time from my work time. You should have trusted me."

Terasha knew Kathy was right. The nurse was young and beautiful and loved having fun. She wasn't shy about enjoying everything life had to offer. She was also a consummate professional.

So why had she felt it was necessary to keep Kathy as far from Dalca as possible?

Terasha shifted uncomfortably in her chair.

"I thought it was necessary. I felt you didn't need the stress. As I said, even I was having difficulties. Still, I should have trusted you. I'm sorry."

Kathy stared at Terasha, unable to say anything, which was a first for her. Kathy always had something to say about everything.

"That's the first time I've ever heard you apologize for anything," said Kathy.

Apparently, it was a first for both of them.

"You mean a lot to me, Kathy. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Kathy chuckled, a broad smile beaming on her face.

"You mean a lot to me, too, though there's been a few times I wanted to do without you!" The nurse laughed heartily.

Terasha's antennae stood erect in surprise. She wasn't sure if Kathy was playing or if she actually meant it, and the little snot wasn't giving her any clues.

Kathy took a big gulp of her coffee, made a face, and shook her body. "Vile stuff!"

"Um, I uh, just wanted to tell you that," Terasha stammered.

"Don't worry, Doc, you're forgiven." Kathy took another gulp of coffee and shuddered again.

"I've got a few more things to finish back in sickbay," said Terasha as she stood up. "See you there?"

"Nah, I'm going to stay here for a while longer. I'm also going to hang out in Jariel's arboretum. Last time I was there, it was a party, so I didn't get to take in the fullness of it all."

Terasha started to say something, but she knew she owed Kathy, and Kathy was going to milk it for all she could.

"All right. I'll see you whenever."

"Bye, Doc." Kathy waved, her brown eyes shining like the stars.



Lieutenant Dr. Terasha
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

and

Ensign Kathy Miller
Head Nurse
USS Serendipity NCC-2012