219: Blessed


By Lieutenant Commander Dabin Reece
80314.2300
Right after Set Up

-=The Arboretum, USS Serendipity=-


Dabin Reece's eyes bugged out of his head.

"The, whhhhhhhat?"

[[The Blessing of the marriage of Dabin Reece and February Grace.]] Camen signed once more, as Liis translated out loud.

Reece smirked and looked around the room. "Who's idea was this? I wasn't consulted!" He said sarcastically, feigning outrage when in fact he had never felt quite so loved by his friends as he did at this moment.

"You weren't consulted because nobody cared for your opinion. We're blessing this marriage and then we're going to eat cake, and you’re going to like it Mr. Reece, that's an order."

Zanh Liis gestured across the arboretum where Fleur Le Marc stood brandishing a large knife, awaiting the moment to cut the cake. At least that's what Liis hoped she intended to do with it. Fleur waved the knife and smiled sweetly in their general direction.

Liis stepped back to stand behind Jariel. Reece made one last command before turning over the proceedings to the Vedek.

"Computer, play piano solo version of One by U2."

The music began to play softly, filling the room, as Jariel began his blessing.

[[Who will offer the bride to her husband for this blessing?]]

"I will." TC announced proudly to all those assembled. He took February by the arm and led her to Dabin's side. Dabin shook TC's hand, and then locked his right arm with February's left. Tears already fell down over her face.

TC stepped down from the gazebo and took his place in the crowd.

[[In my culture, a Marriage Blessing is a sign of good luck and joyous years to come. When I see my friends, February and Dabin, I know they will have these things, with or without our Blessing. Sometimes, however, we need a reminder of just how blessed we really are. Events beyond our control weaken our resolve, and make us question even the most basic things in our lives.]]

[[It is then that we need the strength, not just of our partners,]] Camen gestured towards February and Dabin, then outward to indicated the entire room. [[But also of our friends as well.]]

[[February Grace and Dabin Reece, it is my pleasure, on behalf of myself, Zanh Liis and the entire crew, to bring to you our blessing, for a lifetime of love and friendship to fill your hearts and your home.]]

Camen paused, and placed his hand on February's ear to feel her Pagh. He then moved to Dabin, to share his. Dabin decided the snide remark to accompany said ear grabbing was best saved for later on.

Jariel once again signed, and Liis translated his words, reciting the traditional Marriage Blessing Prayer in Bajoran.

Shakahla tay unsyur
Tevahn ah kah res
Kovah antahna kehl


February looked over her shoulder and around the room at all her friends who had gathered here. She knew they had planned this in response to her recent sadness, as a way to remind her just how much she was loved and appreciated in this place. This was her family, for only true family could love and care for someone as unconditionally as this crew did for her and Dabin.

Camen took February by the hand and kissed her cheek. He then shook Dabin's hand before falling back to the rear of the gazebo and taking a seat. Zanh Liis stepped forward before the couple.

"They say the greatest joy a starship captain can have is to join two of her crewmates in the bonds of marriage."

Liis paused and looked at the floor for a moment, then back up at the couple.

"But I wouldn't know."

Those who had served with Liis on the flagship laughed, recalling the circumstances under which Dabin and February had been wed.

"You see, rather than having a lavish wedding in an arboretum or a holodeck, with yours truly as officiate, Dabin and February decided to be wed at dawn. In a frozen wasteland."

The crowd laughed once again, as Liis continued. "Oh but I'm not done yet. Who better, Dabin and February decided, to join two people on the day that represents the pinnacle of love, happiness and joy?"

Liis once again paused and looked at the floor, then back up.

"They chose the Vulcan."

Salvek shifted uneasily in his seat, as the crowd laughed once again.

"I have to tell you, I was a little put out. But today, my friends, it is my pleasure to ask you Dabin Reece,"

Dabin looked away from February, and towards Liis. "Do you love this woman today, as much and more, as you did the day you took her hand in marriage? Will you look at her now and affirm to her that your heart has not wandered, your passion has not wavered and your place is still and always shall be at her side?"

"I do." He said simply to February.

Liis continued, now speaking to February. "Do you love this man today, as much and more, as you did the day you took his hand in marriage? Will you look at him now and affirm to him that your heart has not wandered, your passion has not wavered and your place is still and always shall be at his side?"

"I do." Replied February.

"Then, it is my pleasure, as Captain of the USS Serendipity, to announce to all here, the blessing of this couple."

The crowd stood and applauded, Dabin looked into February's eyes and touched her cheek with the back of his hand.

"Now's when you kiss her again, Reece." Liis prodded him.

"Oh, right!"

February heard the applause in her mind, as she closed her eyes and felt Dabin's kiss. The sounds of cheers and applause ever so slowly began to dissolve away around her. As individual voices disappeared from her conscious mind, she began to focus on one voice, a familiar presence that grew louder and louder until it was all she could hear.

*Please hear me February, I love you. I miss you. Please hear me February, I love you. Please hear me....*

*I hear you.*

Dabin felt her presence in his mind and it jolted him. He released his kiss and stepped back, looking her in the eyes.

*Was that you?* He thought.

For the first time since their last mission, a genuine smile spread across her face. She nodded, and once again he heard her thoughts.

*Yes, I hear you. You don't have to miss me anymore. I love you too.*

Camen approached the couple once again, and waited for the crowd to settle down, unaware of the conversation taking place directly in front of him.

*I promise you, I'll make sure we don't lose this ever again. As much as I missed your thoughts, the worst part was knowing you were suffering from missing mine.*

*I felt like I deserved to lose them, like I needed to be punished somehow.*

*I know February, but look at me. Look at all these people. You are loved.*

*I know, thank you for arranging all this. I honestly had no idea.*

*You had no idea? I didn't either. I think Rigin and his band of merry men did some extra planning after I left them. We're going to have to pay him back for this.*

*Either way, I know you brought him here to help me. Thank you so much for that, and for this. I promise I won't shut you out again. I love you, Dabin.*

*I love you too.*

Camen implored the crowd to settle down, and they finally returned to their seats.

[[Is there anything the couple wishes to say to each other?]]

Dabin turned away from February and looked at the Vedek.

"Actually, Vedek, I appreciate the offer but, I believe we already have."

[[Very well then.]] Camen said, accepting Dabin's statement, and understanding exactly what it meant.

[[Thank you all for attending, the Blessing is complete.]]

Zanh Liis once again stepped to the front to address her crew.

"Everyone have a piece of cake, but not too much, remember we've got a party coming up, and I expect to see you all there."

LT Commander Dabin Reece
Chief Science Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012