253: A Barbed First Meeting

By Ensign Vol Tryst and Doctor Avery Breaux
80406.12
Immediately Following Prodigal

-=Deck 5, USS Serendipity=-



Breaux stood with his hands on the walls that encompassed the doors to the counselor's office. Palm-down, as always, as though he could get some sense of what was beyond the walls. He had no intention of letting this, or any other counselor inside his head. His recent dealings with Starfleet had turned out terribly and he found himself on the short end of the stick with regard to being in a position to call shots. Starfleet held the cards and the mandated counseling was yet another slap in his rebellious face. He was told that no one else would know of his situation-but he'd learned not to trust anyone, save Angela.

*This can't go well,* he thought to himself. He hadn't himself heard very much about this Vol Tryst character, and if it were up to him he would keep it that way. Not that he was prejudice against the man, again he hadn't even met him, but his title and newly appointed role on the vessel was enough in his mind to distrust him.

Reluctantly, he activated the door chime.

----

As Vol walked the halls of the Sera, he held three different PADDs in one hand and punched incessantly upon the top one.

He had been categorizing and organizing all the data he had been provided with, courtesy of the Vedek, on all the crew members aboard the ship. He sorted them into different groupings, and made his own notes and observations on each. Questions to ask if said individual came to visit him, noting also if he thought some crew members were likely never to see the inside of his office, and others who would be able to tell you the exact size dimensions of the room.

Vol's booted feet his the floor hard as he approached his office, his Betazoid sense allowing him to detect presences in front of him, and allowing him to avoid running into them. As he stared down in concentration, he approached the door to his office when he suddenly stopped and looked up. The new Chief Medical Officer was at the door, ringing the door chime and looking particularly... irritated.

Vol immediately felt that the man would have much preferred to be anywhere else other than here. Then why was he here? Did the Captain feel that it was necessary to give direct orders to her staff, in order for them to meet with him? The Ensign pondered this as the CMO rang the door chime again.

Avery swore he would not ring a third time. Some new Ship's Counselor this guy was, he isn't even in his office when he should be. Minutes passed, and Avery grew more and more relieved.

*Dodged another phaser blast. Phew...*

The Terran turned to make his way back to his quarters, but he noticed a man standing in his way. The dark haired, paler man was standing straight with his arms crossed. Avery would have normally thought he wanted to pick a fight, save for the smile he plainly wore on his visage. He noted the pins on his uniform.

"Ensign."

"Lieutenant Commander Breaux, pleased to meet you."

A pause ensued, and Breaux immediately deduced the man was a nutter.

"No one home?" Vol nodded towards the door. Avery looked back, and then to the Ensign again.

"Seems so."

"Try again in about ten seconds."

Avery scrunched his face, "What will that ch--?" But Vol had squeezed his way between the Doctor and the wall, passing right through the door to his office. The doors closed once more, and Vol put down his PADDs, sat down on his chair, and waited for Avery to request entrance again.

Breaux was unaware that Vol was a Betazoid-that would only further incense Avery. Given all that had gone on with his shore leave to Earth, Avery was in no mood to have to try to block attempts to his inner consciousness. Breaux found the Counselor's entrance amusing to some degree-witty.

Breaux activated the chime which brought an "Enter," from inside the room. Breaux shook his head and passed through the sliding doors.

Avery decided to put on his game face and see where it would land him. "I'm Avery Breaux, ship's doctor...my pleasure," he extended his hand.

"I believe we may have already met." Vol smiled. "I am Vol Tryst, Ship's Counselor. Please, have a seat."

Breaux took a seat on an elongated chair which lined the length of the walls that made up the office. The couch was an olive tone, whereas the walls were a nice blue hue. Upon the wall where the door was were shelves on either side, most held books, though some held other Betazoid items. A chime for dining, some other trinkets and artifacts, and some devices that were useful at times in some sessions.

The room was designed in such a way that promoted a conversation between two individuals. Vol didn't believe in methods that set himself as the dominant and as the know-it-all who helped the patient. He much preferred that he and his patient work together, rather than he just offer some remedy or solution after hearing the patient ramble for awhile. As such, the room was set up in such a way that the two men sat on the same couch. There was a table, and a replicator in the room. Often Vol thought it helped if he played some kind of card or board game, or even indulge in some sort of exquisite meal or dessert. He wondered in the Doctor would be willing to do any of these things, it would sure lighten up the stress that the man was feeling.

Vol lifted his gaze from his PADDs and set them aside for the moment. He stood up and looked at Avery as he took some steps towards the replicator.

"Is there anything I can help you with Commander?"

"I'm here at the request of the Captain...Senior Officers were slated to meet with you..." Breaux continued by lying, "Seemed a good idea-we'd all get a chance to get acquainted."

*And thus begins the lying.* Vol kept himself from smiling.

"Would you care for something to drink then?" Vol asked politely, ignoring the Doctor's statement at first.

Breaux thought for a moment, and realized he was now operating on Starfleet's dime, so speak, so he was honest, "Actually I'm off cycle...if it isn't against your rules, I'd love some scotch...over ice please..."

Vol made the order of the replicator, along with a Long-Island Iced Tea. He took both drinks and sat beside the doctor on the couch, setting the drinks on a long table that was beside the couch. At the risk of being unprofessional, which Vol called little for at the present time, he backed up into the corner and rested his head on the head of the couch. He lounged with his legs on the couch, still facing the Doctor who was now a meter or two away from him. Vol then decided to get back to the business at hand, for a moment.

Avery accepted his drink, "Thank you..." He took a sip and settled in on his couch.

"I imagine that such an order from the Captain will make most people uncomfortable. I'm a much bigger fan of letting people seek counsel when they feel they are ready. I can't aid someone who doesn't wish to be here in the first place."

Avery smiled, "Some bureaucratic machinations are inescapable," Breaux pondered the entanglement with Starfleet Intelligence and found his glib answer appropriate...he reminded himself not to drink too much.

*Don't want to open up too much,* he thought.

Vol picked up the decisive thought from the doctor, and almost groaned. He sipped his drink before setting it back to it's resting place.

*I'm in no mood to talk to someone through a closed blast door.*

"At the risk of upsetting the apple cart, I might be able to share my innermost feelings if I knew just a bit about you ...afterall...you've probably gone through my file and no doubt, will want to debrief me about my recent assignments and feelings about Senior staff and the like...it would be nice to be on a level playing field," Breaux smiled hoping he hadn't come across as sarcastic.

"Hmmph..." The Couselor shrugged. "...I repeat myself Doctor. I have no interest in forced words and proclamations. I much prefer you not say anything at all, then spill your own personal history due to a command from a superior officer. Nevertheless, I shall indulge you."

Whether the Doctor wanted to admit it or not, he was pushing against Vol. Sometimes the appropriate response to such a defense was to pull back, other times it was necessary to push back. In this instance, Vol did both.

"My name is Vol Tryst, and I am a Betazoid. I can sense strong emotions from most every body. Sadness, joy, gratefulness, deception, anger, hope, and fear to only name a few."

"Betazoid?...hmmm...sorry, do go on," Breaux took another sip.

I have an older brother, half human--like I. My mother is human whereas my father is Betazoid. They live on Earth and Betazed, respectfully. I attended the Academy on Earth, in the totally wrong field. My only impressive grades were in my complimentary Diplomacy classes, the rest were all rubbish. I made a decision to complete my studies in Psychiatry on Betazed, and have since graduated with a Medical Degree and a Doctorate in that field.

"I have an insatiable sweet tooth, though I have no passion for baking or cooking. I rather enjoy hot beverages as well, tea being one of my favorites. Fruits are a delicacy in any shape or form. I tend to be a favorite of children, though I cannot imagine why. I have no interest in being involved in any kind of relationship at the moment, I do quite well on my own, or so I like to make myself believe."

There was a moment, a fraction of one if it were, but it was there. The Counselor blinked, and a tiny expression of sadness that crept into the corner of his eye and mouth. In an instant it was gone however, and the man resumed.

"I thoroughly enjoy a game of cards, and some traditional board games as well. Though, refraining from using my abilities is quite challenging." Vol chuckled, taking another gulp of his drink. He fell silent now, gaging Avery's reaction and response.

"Thank you Counselor...that was most generous of you," Breaux pondered the facts that he had been subconsciously rude and was dealing with a Betazoid before continuing, "...I've been an ass...I'm not usually so stubborn...my apologies. I came here unwillingly, sent by Starfleet Command as part of a perfunctory assessment...I think the biggest concern Starfleet has at the moment. . ."

Avery paused, drew a deep breath, swirled the scotch in his glass and continued, "...is that I have used tropolisine, a narcotic, over a period of about fifteen years...I guess you could say that I'm a functioning addict...my addiction began as a result of an away team mission-it was a necessity to use the drug, which is a long story in itself...after using, I found that I was...human...and found myself using it over that period of time-I haven't used it in three months..." Breaux finished off his glass of scotch...and moved to the replicator on his own.

"Counselor if you don't mind...I could use another...ironic I know, but this much sharing of my soul has its price I'm afraid...where shall we head now?"

Breaux commanded the replicator and a second scotch appeared.

Vol was annoyed. If this man was any omen of how the rest of the crew was, Vol had quite the job ahead of him. Talking to this man was like pulling trilithium from an ordinary rock. The Betazoid sensed great mistrust, resistance, and a sense that he would be fine on his own. The latter may be true, but Vol wasn't interested in trying to help someone who asked for a price to be paid whenever he spoke about anything he held inside. He may have admitted and apologized for his initial attitude, which Vol didn't take any offense to, but Avery clearly didn't want to be here because he didn't feel like he needed to be.

"Actually..." The Ensign rose from his seat to take the drink from the replicator before the Doctor could snatch it. "...I must conclude our session for the moment. It seems you have a lot to admit Doctor Breaux, and I look forward to it, and I'm glad we've made first contact as it were. I look forward to our next meeting, perhaps in a much more friendly setting. If you have a favorite activity Doctor, I'd be more than happy to have our next session be during said activity."

Vol put down the beverage on the glass table, but remained standing as a gesture of respect towards the doctor.

Breaux looked down at the drink...then to Vol's eyes..."I deserved that...I'm sorry...I think it may be a little soon for me to openly share...again, my apologies Counselor...please...give me a week, if you can."

Breaux turned and headed out the door. He knew the Betazoid would sense that he was in fact sincere. *Avery, you have a long way to go,* Breaux thought as he headed down the corridor.


Doctor Avery Breaux
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

and

Ensign Vol Tryst
Ship's Counselor
USS Serendipity NCC-2012