263: All Jazzed Up and Open

By Avery Breaux & Vol Tryst
80411.23
Hours after Breakthrough


Breaux tapped on the door chime of the Counselor's office, and then looked down the hallway out of instinct in case the Counselor was approaching from that direction again. Avery had insulted the Counselor by behaving in a churlish fashion and he was hoping to work past that this time. Avery didn't have to agree with the Starfleet stance in his situation, but he was...in his own way...Starfleet. All the years working with his comrades was evidence of that. It was a split existence, to be sure, but there was some merit there. Breaux had resolved to take a different approach with the Counselor.

The door opened and the doctor was already nose to nose with the Counselor. The Doctor was taken aback slightly, but judging from the grin on Vol's face, the Betazoid looked like he had planned it all along.

"Just on time Doctor Breaux."

"C-counselor, I want to.. on time Ensign?"

"Yes. Follow me if you will." And the man side stepped around the Doctor and marched through the ship's hallways. The Doctor took a moment, blinked a couple of times.

*Maybe I should make a recommendation to Zanh Liis. This nutter needs a Couselor of his own.* He then jogged to catch up to Vol.

----

Vol was dressed quite simply. He had a dark brown body suit which had a pointy collar, and a v-neck which exposed the front of his collar bone. Vol marched with his arms waving alongside him, the Doctor, clad in his uniform, was right behind him. It took a moment for Avery to realize it, but he eventually asked:

"Ensign, are we heading toward the Holodeck?" Vol looked over his shoulder, smiling genuinely.

"Indeed. and here we are." Vol approached the small computer console, tapping a few buttons.

"Computer..." Vol looked at Avery, as if scrutinizing something about him. "...Earth, early naught century. Montreal, Canada. Summertime, early July to be exact. On the corner of Ste-Catherines and Jeanne-Mance." Vol was apparently apt at French.

^Specify time^

"Mid-afternoon."

^Program Complete. Enter when ready.^

Vol turned to the completely confused Avery Breaux,

"After you Doctor." Vol politely gestured to the door.

Breaux entered to the sounds of some type of goings-on...people everywhere and there were tents and stages and...jazz.

Breaux whirled around to the Counselor. "Either you've done your homework or you're a fan of jazz like myself." Avery caught himself smiling, and then remembered everyone wasn't against him-he'd let go of his enmity for Starfleet...he questioned the Counselor, "What? Why here? Not that I'm complaining."

Vol stood behind the Doctor, with his hands held behind his back. What was more, he wore a smile on his face, glad that his patient enjoyed the scenerio.

"So many questions my good Doctor, and I thought I was the Psychiatrist." Vol chuckled. "Why not here? Oh, come. I think Norah Jones is about to perform."

Vol walked and side stepped between the large crowd of people, walking towards a favorable vantage point from one of the nearby restaurants, which had a terrase overlooking the streets and the stage. The city was alive with amusement and entertainment, rose and purple colored lights danced every which way. A man on the stage making some kind of speech, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Montreal's International Jazz Festival, and introducing the famed Jazz artist.

Vol sat down at a table, Avery sitting opposite him. For the moment, Vol wanted to just enjoy himself. All the more, he wanted to observe the Doctor in what might very well be a veritable smorgasborg of sound and sights for the Terran.

Breaux didn't care that the technique was a warm-up, to make him feel comfortable,he went with it and was enjoying the sights and sounds. He saw the various people wandering about with drinks and knew that pursuing that was going to be a taboo, so he ignored them and continued to focus on the music.

Jones opened with a song entitled, "Don't Know Why" and the crowd was immediately won over. "She's amazing...a voice like an instrument," Breaux said aloud, totally absorbed in the festivities.

"Oh?" Vol began to playfully disagree. "But isn't that the fascinating thing about the human voice? I know that we've developed formulas for the sounds emitted by voice box of most species, but setting that aside, there's nothing formulaic about it. It's pure, unique to each individual, a diamond in the rough if you will. Wouldn't you say that about any recording artist of this era? Each have their own distinct sound, and yet each of them proclaim to have the same talent. I believe that is true with each person, with each field. One doctor's successful surgery could be made parallel to anothers, but each came to success in their own way, no?" Vol smiled at Avery.

Avery smiled, "You're good...really good. Come on, let's wander." Avery was totally lost in the overwhelming atmosphere...perhaps the good Counselor was right. *What the hell,* thought Avery.

Avery heard a saxophone off to his right, but he decided not to be pulled in by the familiar. He continued to wander, the Counselor at his side. They meandered from one pavilion to another...the assortment of performers was amazing...Hoenig, Hekselmen, D'Tor, Pilc...Breaux walked wide-eyed, like a child...

The crowd was good-natured and many were eating, drinking, and some had taken positions on grassy knolls so that they could watch the entertainment.

Breaux, not wanting to be selfish, turned to Vol, "What type of music do you like Vol?...do you care for jazz at all?...is there someone you want to see?"

The Betazoid chuckled at all this. Very interesting indeed.

"I find you quite a remarkable individual Mr. Breaux." The Betazoid began to show his species' nature. "The other day you would not say a word about yourself 'less I gave you a run-down of who I was. Even then you only told me what you thought I wanted to hear. Now, in your element, with all the joys around you to take in. The first things that come to your mind, still, are matters that do not pertain do you." Vol flashed a smile. The Counselor clearly wasn't being sarcastic, if anything he was complimenting the Doctor, which was odd to say the least.

"Tell me about Avery Breaux. Tell me why you love jazz, and why you think it's better than other forms of music. Give me you opinion why it has it's own International Festival, whereas all other genres of music in this era do not any such annual festivities. Rant all night Avery, please. I love to listen." Vol sat back in his chair, quite sure of himself in his friendly manner. He sipped at a drink that he had ordered beforehand, waiting for Avery to respond.

Avery felt that this was fair and so he dove in, "Well...I was raised in a place called New Orleans...on Earth...jazz is like breath there...it's the pulse of the city...and one doesn't live there without feeling the pulse. This music reaches out and touches people...it's fluid and it's real."

Breaux looked around and took in the music, a young saxophone player was playing a Sonny Rollins song, "New Orleans is special...it's dirty...it's corrupt, even to this day...but...It's also a giving city, and I come from a caring family-so I suppose that my inclination to make those around me comfortable...is from that upbringing. I don't like to see people uncomfortable or abused, or taking advantage of." Breaux slowed himself.

"So it's in my nature to act on matters that need attention or care...hence the desire to become a doctor."

Avery continued, "It's been quite a journey for me Counselor. Fifteen years on Erasmus serving with the same people, developing bonds...understanding issues and problems and serving in a way that will help ease the pain of others. I've been blessed to have such an existence...and now, this crew...this place...another family...a new phase in my life."

Avery stopped and turned his head toward another pavilion, and then looked back at the Counselor, "I've never done a lot of counseling sessions Vol...I'm not really sure where to go. I'll stop trying to 'drive' if that will help...I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of sessions to get me to relax and share whatever it is I'm supposed to share. Maybe I shouldn't have preconceived notions about our interaction...I apologize for that."

Avery stopped, "I'm doing it again, aren't I?"

"Doing what? Who said that this was a session Doctor?" Vol smiled as he finished off his drink. The crowd was winding down as the sun began to set. It was a beautiful sight, as if the music were calming the skies into a cranberry sleep. Vol looked back at his patient.

"I would take the time Avery to try and determine what it is you think I'm expecting of you. Because the truth is, you're fullfilling everything I'd like of you. The expectations you think I want from you, are really your own expectations of yourself. You think I don't like it when my patients 'drive,' on the contrary; I encourage my patients to take on the natural role they feel comfortable in. You naturally like to be in control, but you resist."

Avery nodded, "I can offer no defense."

"This is the part where you're supposed to ask me 'why do I do that Counselor?'" Vol joked. Picking up on the Betazoid's humor, Avery went along with it.

"Why do I do that Counselor?"

"Now I say: My job isn't to give you the answers, my good Doctor."

Now Avery was confused.

"It isn't?"

"Nope. Rather, I'm simply supposed to show you that you already know the answer, and remind you of it."

Avery thought he understood, but he still couldn't shake the feeling that he could be completely wrong. Evidently so did the Counselor, as he patted the Doctor's shoulder as they walked the now-less crowded street's of Montreal in search of the exit. The sky had now been purged with violet and navy hues, the music still didn't die around them though. The sound of Jazz still surrounding the two as the summoned the exit.

"You never did answer my question Counselor. Are you a fan?"

"No, never cared for Jazz that much." Vol shrugged. "No melody."

The two men chuckled as they exited the holodeck.


Ensign Vol Tryst
Ship's Counselor
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

and

LT. Commander Avery Breaux
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012