619: A Chuisle Mo Chroí

By Keiran O’Sullivan* and Zanh Liis
81026.18
Soundtrack: Be Thou My Vision/Slane
from Lifescapes Celtic Spirit

-=/\=-

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and just be my friend.


~An Irish Proverb


-=/\=-


-=The O’Sullivan Residence: Ireland, Earth=-


Liis felt what was left of her composure slipping the moment she heard the music.

Gazing beyond the confines of the doorway she took in the glorious green countryside, rolling on as far as the eye could see.

She saw the arbor of flowers waiting at the end of the aisle, beside the tree that had come to mean more to her than words could ever express.

Then, she saw Keiran.

She blinked quickly, willing her tears away. She did not want anything to cloud her vision now; not when she had waited so long to see this sight.

Salvek held her steady, just out of view of everyone, waiting for the signal to make an entrance.

Liis craned her neck to try to determine where the music was coming from, finally seeing Tadgh and his oldest son, Liam, as they stood side by side playing their violins together in perfect harmony.

-=/\=-

At the end of the aisle Keiran checked his cufflinks one more time.

Twilight had finally settled, as had the guests.

As he looked down the aisle, she was finally there.

He watched her every step and the closer she got, the more he believed she would not disappear.

Keiran may as well have been the one who disappeared, because other than Zanh Liis, no one saw anything other than how lovely she was tonight.

As they reached the arbor at last, Salvek released her arm and placed her hand in Keiran’s.

The Vulcan stole one last kiss upon her cheek, taking care not to mar her makeup.

“Thank you, Salvek.” She whispered again. “For everything.”

He nodded and retreated down the aisle to his seat with Lair Kellyn.

Keiran took Liis’ free hand in his as they faced each other.

Captain William Lindsay stood before them, and he cleared his throat softly as the music faded into silence.

“Keiran, I know it’s a lot to ask of you to take your eyes off of her for a second, but you’re going to have to try to focus for just a few minutes here. All right?”

The audience laughed softly.

“Welcome one and all. For those of you who don’t know who I am, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is William Torquil Lindsay. My profession; tortured soul.”

Those who had Temporal Investigations experience among the guests laughed again, though nervously, understanding that was part of the job description.

Why is that, Captain Lindsay, you ask? What was it about your job, specifically, that was so trying and difficult to bear?”

He sighed heavily.

“Some of you might suspect you know the answer to the question. You may expect it was the danger involved, or perhaps the personal sacrifices made for the sake of the greater good.

“Could be that it was carrying the burden of experiences which you can share with few others. You could guess any of those, and of course, to a degree you’d be right. Those are all part of the difficult job that we do every day as Starfleet officers.

“But that wasn’t the worst of it, not for me.”

As he always did, Will was masking the deadly seriousness of his emotions behind humor. But the meaning of his words and his understanding of all they’d suffered was not lost on Keiran, or Liis.

“No. If I were being honest, I’d have to tell you that the very most trying part of the job I did for so many years was listening to this man rave on about this woman. End-less-ly.”

He dragged the last word out and winked at Liis before continuing.

“I’m certain, Captain Zanh, there are those serving aboard your own ship who could sympathize with my suffering.”

Liis turned and glanced over her shoulder at TC, who was smiling broadly.

“And how.” Blane teased Liis under his breath.

“Let me tell you all,” Lindsay continued, “that not only am I thrilled to be here because two people who have given their all for their duty, their crews, and their Federation are finally getting what they truly want but to declare publicly how happy I am that I will never again have to listen to Keiran O’Sullivan wonder what might have been.”

His voice was completely serious now, and he looked at them with genuine emotion.

“I can’t tell ya, how much that pleases me. You see there are far too few days like this for those like us, and far too many where we gather for reasons we wish we could forget.”

Will and Liis shared a moment of understanding. He recalled the private conversation they’d had last night after dinner: about the alternate timeline in which they had met under very different circumstances.

Ashton Ledbetter and Azalea Adams exchanged a glance as they sat in the third row of seats. Between them Gira Lassiter wept softly, and in the section of seats on the opposite side of the garden, Dane Cristiane watched her every move with rapt attention.

“So today is a day for all of us to celebrate, not only the marriage of Liis and Keiran, but all that their union stands for. It stands for faith, for hope, and for never, ever giving up on the things that really matter.”

He leaned forward, lowering his voice to a whisper to ensure that only Keiran and Liis could hear, “Even if History itself tells you that you’re damned for trying.”

Keiran closed his eyes, and when he opened them again, they shone with tears.

Liis squeezed his hand, holding it fast.

“Elizabeth Barrett Browning said, 'Whoso loves, believes the impossible.' Don’t ever stop believing the impossible, either of you. It is the impossible realized that makes life worth living. That the both of you are here today, is proof of that.”

Liis smiled brightly.

“Before we get to the formal vows…”

*Oh no,* Liis thought, her smile quickly fading.

“I’d like to ask if,”

*Lindsay, don’t you dare, *

“…the bride and groom have anything that they’d like to say to each other from the heart?”

*And there it is.*

In all the time that Liis had worried that this might happen, however, she never once imagined what he might have to say to her.

Soon, she’d find out.

“Keiran, if you would…” Lindsay stepped back, and the groom drew a deep breath.

“Liis, to be honest, I don’t know why I’m even standin’ here.”

Liis’ face contorted just a bit in confusion and as he realized how that sounded, he quickly tried to explain.

“By that, I mean I don’t know how after all of it I’m alive, I’m with you, and I remember you. It’s always been somethin’, but if this Keiran is the one who gets to marry you and be free of them,” He said, indicating TI, “Then I’m not the one to question Time. That’s all I’ve ever done is question time. Not today.”

“I vow to you that as sure as God is watchin’ over us from His Heaven above that I’m not goin’ to waste a single moment of this. I intend to make sure you know just how lucky I believe I am to be marryin’ you today and sharin’ my life with you tomorrow.

"My family loves ya, the crew loves ya, but no one more than me. If that means I have to build our home up to the sky, than so be it, I’ll do that. I want it to be the place of your dreams.

“I love ya more than anythin’ and when they ask for your vows all you have to say is you love me the same. I don’t need any promises of forever. I just need to know you feel like I do. That’s all. From then on I’ll silently count every moment we’re together as one of pure happiness in my life.

“To tell ya the truth, I never thought I’d marry, because I never believed you’d ever wish for me to hold your heart in this life. I don’t what I did or why you feel the way you do, but I just hope I keep on doin’ it because you’re just so lovely and wonderful I can’t bear the thought of us ever bein’ apart again. I love you Liis, with all my heart.”

Liis stood silently for a long moment, tears streaming down her face.

At last she turned and asked TC to take her flowers, wanting both of her hands free to hold Keiran’s.

Anyone who knew her would tell you that when it came to articulating her more vulnerable emotions aloud, Zanh Liis was a very private person.

She had been so worried that she wouldn’t know what to say in front of everyone but found that in the moment, she had everything in the world to say.

“Zanh Liis?” Will prompted.

“A famous Terran writer** once said," Liis began slowly, "'I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be.'”

She shook her head gently, and her earring jingled.

“That could be the story of my life. For so many years, I stumbled on through the days. I did my job, I did all the things that I thought should make me happy. I didn’t understand why, even after I achieved the things I thought I wanted, I didn’t have what I truly needed.

“Then one day, everything was different,” She smiled at him softly. “You were there.”

Keiran looked down at his shoes, and Liis lifted his chin until his eyes met hers again.

“You have no idea, Keiran O’Sullivan, what you mean to the people who know you. No idea the strength you give us, just by entering a room. You can stand there, saying nothing, and just in doing so instantly bring order no matter the chaos swirling around you.

“That’s what you’ve done for me. After searching all my life, I’ve finally found what was missing. Not only are you the reason I make sense, you’re the reason life makes sense.

“No one knows how much time they’re given to live this life, and anyone who knows me knows that I have no idea what there is waiting for us beyond it. All I know is that I couldn’t possibly spend the time I do have in any better place than at your side.”

She tilted forward, leaning her forehead against his and closing her eyes. “I love you, Keiran. Always.”

She glanced upward and caught sight of Carrick standing just over his father’s shoulder. Their eyes met, and Carrick nodded to her with approval.

Lindsay stepped forward again, grinning broadly

“Wonderful. Let’s handle the final formalities, shall we? Keiran, do you take Liis to be your wife? Do you promise to be true to her always and remain steadfast at her side until the end of your days?”

“I do.”

“Liis, do you take Keiran to be your husband? Do you promise to be true to him always and remain steadfast at his side until the end of your days?”

“I do.”

“Are there rings to be exchanged?”

Liis turned to TC, who quickly handed her Keiran’s ring. Keiran retrieved Liis’ rings from Carrick.

“Keiran, place the ring on her left hand and repeat after me; ‘I belong to my beloved, and my beloved belongs to me’.”

Keiran did just as told, and Liis stared down in amazement. He’d actually given her two rings- one, a complete circle of brilliant diamonds; the one above it, a perfect replica of his signet ring made smaller and finished in gleaming white gold.

She made a note to ask him later about his choice in adding the second band...

“Liis? Your turn.” Lindsay prodded her gently.

As she spoke the words and finally restored Keiran’s ring to its proper place and true meaning, he beamed.

“Then in as much as Zanh Liis and Keiran O’Sullivan have made their intentions known to myself and this company and signified their commitment by the reciting of vows and exchanging of rings, it is my great honor to pronounce that they are now married. Keiran-“

Before he could finish, Keiran had already wrapped his arms around Liis, lifting her up off the ground as he kissed her.

Applause filled the evening air, continuing as Keiran finally set her down.

"A chuisle,” he whispered in her ear, “Is tú mo ghrá."

Zanh Liis smiled again, eyes closed as she rested her head against her husband’s shoulder.

“I love you too.”

------------------------------
-=/\=- Zanh Liis

and

Keiran O’Sullivan*

(*as told by Commander Salvek)

------------------------------

NRPG: Again, thank you, Salvek, I couldn't have asked for anything more. On to the reception... ~ZL



**”I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be.” ~Douglas Adams