616: Destiny Speaks

by February Grace
81028.12
Following High Fashion

-=Quarters of Grace and Reece, USS Serendipity=-


*She's what?*

February set down her crocheting and turned toward the door. Before Dabin had even walked into their quarters, his thoughts were so clear it was almost as though he was shouting at her.

*Gettin' hitched day after tomorrow! To the big Irish guy! I just helped her pick out her gown. She's going to have to go with the strapless bra. I tried to warn her off, but she was set on the design. I did my best to talk her into the sweetheart neckline and puffed sleeves but no..."

"Dabin," February bit her lip, large round blue eyes filled with concern. "Isn't this all rather...sudden?"

"Not to her," Dabin replied, plunking down on the arm of her chair and leaning over to kiss her on the cheek. He stopped to pat her stomach as well "Hi baby! I love you." He said softly, even though he knew that the baby did not yet even have fully formed ears with which to hear him.

"You didn't see her on the Away mission, Bru. I've known her for years but I've never seen her this way. Woman was completely," he threw his hands up into the air, "lost."

"And she's found herself now with him?" February couldn't help but feel defensive on behalf of a dear friend...one with whom she'd had many conversations in confidence about Zanh Liis. "What about Jariel, Dabin? What is going to happen when he comes back from Bajor and finds out that she's married someone else?"

*Do you really think he's coming back?* Dabin asked. *He's always wanted to stay there. From what Liis told me, their parting was pretty final when they said goodbye on Betazed. I don't think he's coming back.*

February frowned deeply. She had never really allowed herself to consider the possibility that Jariel wouldn't return. He was so much a part of her everyday life, so much a part of the ship and crew on his own, apart from Zanh. She didn't know how she, or the rest, would manage without his calming presence.

The Alchemy Project was one of the highest stress assignments in all of Starfleet. They had real need of his caring soul here, and Bru could only hope that he knew how much he meant to everyone and would factor that into any decisions he made if he was considering giving up his post.

"Hey," Dabin reached out and brushed a tear from her cheek. "What's a matter huh? You feeling okay?"

"Stupid hormones." February claimed, but her thoughts told him otherwise. She wiped at her eyes, then started to hiccup.

"I'll get the hypo." Dabin sighed, dutifully retrieving the device and gently pressing it to her neck. He kissed her cheek and held her hand and within seconds, the hiccupping stopped.

"It's just all happening so fast. They hardly know each other."

"Well, now, see that's where things get complicated." Dabin hesitated.

"Complicated is right. I'll tell you this much though, I can't be the one to tell him," Bru continued resolutely. "What am I supposed to do if he contacts me, Dabin? One of these days he's going to, he promised he would. When that happens how do I look at the man and tell him the woman he's loved all his life is marrying somebody else?"

"He's loved her most of his life up to this point, Bru. But he's got years to go. Believe me, he'll find his way."

"I still can't sit there and watch it. All I'll be able to think about is the conversation we had on the way to Vol's wedding."

He began to fidget. "What do you mean you can't watch?"

"I'm not going to the wedding."

"February," Dabin's eyes grew larger, "Honey, think about this for me. Liis isn't just the Captain, she's my friend. She has been for years. If we're not there,"

"I didn't say you shouldn't go. You should. I'd never ask you not to." February quickly clarified. "But Dabin...I just..." Suddenly their cat seemed very interested in the ball of yarn in Bru's lap and jumped up onto her.

"No no, Sparrow, get down," she sighed, gently picking him up and setting him back on the floor. She didn't even notice that he'd claimed his prize and ran off with the yarn in his mouth, hiding under the bed with it and fully intending to claw it until it fell apart.

"How can I sit there and watch her break his heart, especially if he doesn't know it's happening? Unless she contacted him to tell him. Did she?"

"If she did, she didn't mention it." Dabin admitted. "But Bru, I don't think,"

"I do think and I can't do it." She sighed and closed her eyes. *I'm sorry, Dabin. Don't be mad, okay?*

*I'm not.* He answered honestly, though he couldn't hide the fact that he was disappointed. *I understand. It's okay.*

February stood up and moved toward the window. Suddenly the room began to spin, and she leaned her hand against the wall, dizzy and disoriented.

"Hey," Dabin rushed up to her, steadying her. "Are you okay?"

"Just stood up too fast," she said with a dismissive wave, though her breathing was shallow and she was shaking like a leaf.

"No, it's more than that. Have you eaten recently?"

"I haven't been hungry. I think it's getting crowded in there and my stomach is getting kinda smooshed."

"Well you have to eat. I'll fix you something. Let's get your feet up." He led her back to her chair, pulled an ottoman toward her and propped her feet up on it. "What will you eat?"

"Anything, doesn't matter." She answered absently. Her mind was elsewhere, and she found herself wishing that she could have some sign, no matter how small, to indicate that she should still believe in Destiny.

She had believed so long that Destiny had brought her and Dabin together, reuniting Grace and Reece through them at exactly the right time.

She had believed the same about Liis and Jariel, only now everything had changed.

She didn't know the whole story with the Captain and her future husband; Dabin's thoughts had been intentionally elusive on the subject and she hadn't pushed her way past his resistance. They had both learned to respect each other's thoughts when it came to the confidences others shared with them, and the longer their link went on, the more they learned to control it, rather than be controlled by it.

Dabin returned with a lovely tray of food and he set it up on a small table beside her so she wouldn't have to exert herself to eat it. She thanked him and began poking at the pot roast and vegetables with her fork.

"I should have brought you some steamed azna. Good for you."

"Ugh. I hate azna, steamed or otherwise." She looked at him nervously. "Are you sure you aren't going to be upset if I don't go?"

"February, it's an invitation, not a subpoena. You don't have to go if you don't want to."

"I think very highly of Keiran, and the Captain. It's not that-"

"I know," he kissed her forehead again. "It's okay. Here, eat your food. I'm going to go get cleaned up."

He paused and turned back to her.

*Do you remember the moment when we looked up at each other in that shuttle bay, the first time we met as February and Dabin?*

That was something she knew she'd never forget.

*Do you remember how, when I realized you were Grace and you realized I was Reece, all those memories just came flooding back and it was like no time had passed?*

"Boy howdy do I. You were pretty ticked at me." February recalled aloud.

"Yeah, well after I got over acting like a jerk...do you remember how it felt when we realized that that history was only the beginning, and that Dabin and February had more in common than Tuli and Deveral ever did?"

She nodded.

"Well, that's kind of what's happened to Liis and Keiran, in a way. Seems sudden to the rest of us, but to them this event has been years in the making. Just...think about that for me? Then if the time comes and you still don't want to go, I won't bring it up again."

"All right."

As Dabin disappeared into the shower, February knew that her decision was bothering him more than his words, or even his thoughts conveyed.

She knew this because when the shower turned on, he didn't start to sing.


-=The Day of the Wedding=-


"You look absolutely gorgeous." She whistled softly as she looked him over from head to toes.

"Just incredible. Be sure you gesture with your left hand and talk about your pregnant wife a lot, okay? I'm sure there will be a lot of pretty Human women there who would be very interested in a handsome guy like you."

"Bru," he hugged her and patted her stomach affectionately. "To me there won't be a solitary woman there but the one who's getting married. She's the only person I'm there for."

He had put off going down to the planet until the last possible moment, a small part of him hoping that she would decide to throw on a dress and come with him.

All indications were that her decision held- she'd had today off, and even though it was almost over she was still in pajamas and fuzzy slippers.

"Have good time. Tell everyone I said hello. Tell them that I was just..." she was a very honest person by nature and ever loathed to try to cover the truth with excuses. In this case, however, it seemed the best course of action. "Just tell them I was too tired,"

"February, don't worry. Everyone knows that you're tired these days. No one will think twice about it." He kissed her gently and then headed to the door. She padded softly behind him, continually apologizing to him in her thoughts.

"I'm sorry you didn't get that sign you were hoping for." Dabin kissed her cheek as he hugged her goodbye. "I won't stay late. Just long enough to put in a good appearance."

"Don't rush. I'll be here when you get back. I love you."

*Love you too.* He departed for the lift with very little of the usual spring in his step.

February sighed and turned around. The room was too quiet now, she had to do something to keep herself from going crazy wondering what was going on down on the planet.

She switched on the computer panel and prepared to go back to tinkering with the list of baby names that she and Dabin had been mulling over, and she noticed suddenly that the 'incoming message' light was blinking.

"Funny. That wasn't there an hour ago," she said softly, as she tapped the screen and brought up the message. "Text only...hm."

The moment she saw where it had come from, her mouth fell open. She read it aloud as fast as she could process the words.

My Dear Little Angel,

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write. I've been on quite a journey, and it has led me somewhere I never expected to go. I've discovered so many things about myself, about my family. Things I can't wait to tell you about, but right now I'm pressed for time.

I've made my way to the Plains, and you won't believe me when I tell you who I've run into here.


"OH YES I would!" Bru clapped her hands, and her heart started to race. "Destiny, don't fail me now."

She kept reading.

Fleur is here and the work she's done is nothing short of miraculous. She tells me that you had a hand in making funds available, from Deveral's accounts and I want to thank you. I just wish you could see all that is being done with what we now have to work with.

I hope this finds you well. I miss you and think of you daily.

Give my regards to Dabin, and don't worry about me. For the very first time I have a feeling that I am exactly where I am meant to be, and that the plan for my life may finally be coming together.

My best to the crew. I'll write again soon.

Love,
Camen


"I don't believe it!"

February switched the screen off, hurried to the closet and began rifling through the contents. She picked out a dress covered in delicate pink roses and headed toward the bathroom to shower.

A little while later she was strolling up the flower lined path leading to the sprawling 'back yard' where she was told the wedding was to take place.

She searched the gathering for Dabin but couldn't find him.

*Well, hi.* She heard his thoughts before she saw him, and she turned around to find him grinning at the sight of her.

*Once again, Destiny has had its say.* She thought to him, smiling too as he gently led her toward a seat at the front of the garden.


----------------
LT. SG February Grace
Senior Flight Controller
USS Serendipity NCC-2012