470: Why Have I Not Been Here Before?

by Dr Jack Hubbard
80814.1237
Following The Wedding Gift

-=Betazed=-

Alorha had to ask.

"Shouldn't you be attending the wedding?" she asked innocently enough.

Jack responded, "It...was optional..." He thought for a moment. "I came to Betazed to have an exchange with my colleagues before attending...and the commanding officer was quite clear, it was an open invitation, if I had the time..." He looked out her window onto the expansive garden. "I'll be networking with these people as soon as everyone is back on board."

She moved over to his location, "You sure you don't think you need to be there?"

"No...I'm sure...they have been through a great deal lately and they have their existing connections....there will be time enough to bond with all my mates once we leave here..."

He took her in his arms..."Besides," he said, "...when is the next time we'll be able to be together?"

She smiled, "Good point."

Jack looked from Alorha back out to the garden, "Amazing...this is just amazing." He leaned back against the bay window arrangement.

She smiled, "Yes, the gardens are beautiful." She then realized his thoughts were of her and she smiled, "Oh...I see." She blushed slightly. She then picked up his next thoughts, "Yes...you should go to the wedding...I understand." She pressed a finger to his lips.

He looked back to her, "Honor..and duty and all that...these are my comrades...I'll return before we embark, if that's alright with you."

Alorha clasped his hands in hers, "Of course."

He adjusted his tunic as he made ready to exit.

"You know our customs?" she asked innocently.

Hubbard was befuddled, "What?...I mean...some of them, yes, I suppose." He held his hands up as if grasping for an understanding of where she was headed.

"Betazed...weddings...clothing," she tilted her head.

His eyes widened, "That's serious?...that really happens?"

She laughed, "It didn't seem to be a problem earlier."

"Why have I not been here before?"

DR Jack Hubbard
CMO
USS Serendipity NCC-2012