455: The Doctor Will See You Now

by Jack Hubbard and Jariel Camen
80802.2100
Following Time and Space

-=USS Alchemy=-


Jariel materialized back on the Alchemy. After spending so much time surrounded by the natural beauty of Betazed, it was a shock to the system to be back in such a sterile environment.

He really would have preferred to head directly to Bajor, but the doctor had requested an immediate work up. As he entered Sickbay, he saw the new Doctor for the first time. He was immediately struck by how imposing the doctor looked. His features were chiseled and strong, looking more like a Special Ops officer than medical personnel. Hubbard's smile however was warm and genuine and immediately set Jariel at ease.

"You wanted to see me, Doctor?" Jariel asked.

Hubbard spun and flashed a smile," Yes! Jariel! It’s my pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm Jack Hubbard, the new CMO." He moved toward the new friend and tried to make him comfortable, "I have you down for a medical once-over and we can do this quickly and return you the splendors of Betazed...I'm anxious to get there myself."

Camen relaxed and smiled. The new doctor's demeanor was certainly pleasant. "The brochures don't do the planet justice. You really do need to see it."

"Jariel, may I call you Jariel...or do you prefer your title?"

"I'm not picky doctor, whatever you are comfortable with." Camen hopped up on a biobed, expecting a quick examination. He really didn't mind medical scans very much. Modern technology made them as unobtrusive as possible. It was the typical overworked Starfleet officer that was always two assignments behind that hated to pause from their duties to be poked and prodded. It was not the idea of the testing that had him someone on edge, but simply the fact he would have preferred to be down on the planet.

"Fantastic. One of the things that really helps me with new crew assignments is to find out the inner workings of what's gone on and how it affects us as a whole. Please, while I handle these routine medical diagnostics...bring me up to speed on the crew and what's gone on of late...and please, " he feigned a serious look, "...don't leave yourself out..." He smiled and went back to his bio-bed controls.

Camen froze in place, taken completely off guard. "I thought this was just going to be a swish around with the tricorder? You want to know what's been going on of late?"

"Correct. I'm listening. You know everything can't be measured with a tricorder," Hubbard said.

Camen wasn't sure how to answer the question in a succinct manner. He had lived another lifetime "of late".

"Well," he started. "We just returned from a mission where several members of the crew were exposed to long-suppressed memories. As you can imagine, it had quite a serious effect on those who were affected by the procedure. Commander Salvek and Counselor Tryst did the best he could to hold things together while all this was happening. They kept close tabs on everyone affected to make sure they were in no serious danger.”

Camen opened his mouth to say what had happened to Zanh Liis, but realized Hubbard may still not know, so he dodged the subject entirely. "Commander O'Sullivan had memories resurface, as did I. Dabin Reece, February Grace, Zander Blakeslee, Lair Kellyn and Rada Dengar basically saved us all from destruction by figuring out the trap we were caught in and freeing us."

"Exactly what kind of memories did you have resurface?" Hubbard asked.

"Doctor," Jariel sighed, "It's more personal then you could possibly imagine."

Hubbard stopped what he was doing, and became pensive before responding, "Yes, but doctor-patient confidentiality and all that. I'm sure there's a capable Counselor aboard, but you have no idea how the various mental machinations wreak havoc on the matters I deal with...one and the same really."

Hubbard continued with his adroit workings and went on, "You know, one time aboard the Hornet, there was information that surfaced in the midst of an Away Team firefight...could have saved us a lot of grief...I like to be informed...but...I certainly won't press you." Hubbard smiled.

Camen chuckled. Again he resisted full disclosure because he knew if he in any way mentioned what he knew of the Captain's life in the other timeline, he would compromise any wish she had to keep it secret.

Without any way of knowing if she had or had not told Hubbard anything, he opted for the most obvious option; assuming she had not, based on what he knew of her personality. Even if she had divulged anything, at best she likely tiptoed around the subject.

"Essentially Doctor, I found out that, in another life, I was married to a woman who has been a very dear friend to me in this life. She never expressed her feelings for me here, and I was too naive to see them. Once I realized how she felt, I decided it was best to let her down and encourage her to find happiness.

"How did she take that?"

"She was," Camen paused looking for a diplomatic word, but there simply was none. "Crushed."

"And how did YOU take that? You are a Vedek, correct? Members of the religious order are usually in the habit of mending hearts, are they not?" Hubbard checked the last of the readouts.

"I did the best I could. I did not wish to hurt her but I couldn't let her suffer in silence the rest of her life either. Suffice it to say I consider myself a protective and nurturing individual. So tell me doctor, what kind of man are you, and how do you react when life forces you to do the opposite of what is in your nature?"

Hubbard smiled and took a seat across from the Vedek, "Touché, fair is fair. I'm an obstinate ass, and that's on a good day. I love practicing medicine and I love moving from assignment to assignment. I probably could have gone into another arena in Starfleet, but alas, I opted for medical, and it was a wise decision." He thought for a few moments, "Opposite of my nature? I'm afraid I have a proclivity to reacting honestly and openly, some would say, some have said, brashly and abusively."

Hubbard announced that the exam was finished, and thanked the Vedek for his time, and then he added, "Oh, and I'm hopelessly drawn to women and good times, but I know where to draw the line between work and play, although some would say they blur on occasion." Dr Hubbard winked at Jariel, "I do appreciate your candor and I look forward to working with you, and the others."

"I'm not sure when you'll be working with me Doctor, honestly. The recent events we spoke of have had quite an effect on me. Right now I need to seek out my identity and that can only be done on Bajor in the company of an old confidant. I need to stop and smell the roses so to speak. Journey into myself and see what emerges on the other side. I hope to return but I don't know when."

Hubbard paused, taken aback by the sudden turn in the conversation. "Well then, recent events have indeed had quite an effect on you? I'll note in my log that we spoke today you appear to be in good health physically, but you require a leave of absence for personal reasons. I think that's vague enough to keep it between you and me." Hubbard said.

"I appreciate that Doctor." Jariel departed Sickbay, satisfied that he had doled out just as much detail as he felt comfortable doing with a man he just met. Perhaps the rest would come out soon enough, but at least for now the hound appeared to be off the scent.

He decided to check the comm logs to see if he had any urgent messages from the Sera regarding the arboretum's health. The computer informed him he had zero unanswered communiqué's, so he departed for the transporter room, to return to the transport hub on the surface, where he would book passage to Bajor.

****************************
LT. Commander Jack Hubbard
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity NCC 2012

Jariel Camen
Ship’s Chaplain
USS Serendipity NCC-2012