462: A Day Like No Other: Two

by -=/\=- Zanh Liis
80812.19

...continued from part one

-=Suite of Captain Zanh, The Inn at Lake Cataria, Betazed=-


"Arie,"

"I only say this because you are not wearing your earring."

"I didn't want to lose it during the duel or while we were swimming."

"You did not know we were going to go swimming," Arie argued, quite correctly.
"Neither are you wearing the ring you always wear, Sir. One can only conclude logically that you and,"

"Okay, okay." Liis sighed. There was no point in concealing the truth. She sat down on the arm of the plush couch, and gestured for Arie to sit as well. "Arie, sometimes adults,"

"You do not need to explain." Arie replied, very sincerely. "I am only a child. You do not owe me any sort of explanation."

"You are a child, but you asked an honest question and it deserves an honest answer." Liis decided. "Arie, soon everyone will know that things have changed for Jariel and I. It doesn't mean that he isn't very dear to me. He always will be. But with Vol's Bonding, we did not want to..."

"...distract from the festivities."

"Exactly. So, if you wouldn't mind just keeping this between us until we're on our way home," Liis asked. "I would appreciate it."

Arie nodded.

As they moved from the room and to the largest restaurant at the Inn seeking dinner, the child was quiet. Too quiet, in Liis' estimation. As the pair was seated at a secluded table on the veranda and left to consider their menus, she finally looked up at Liis once again.

"I am good at keeping secrets."

Liis did not like the direction that this new conversation was taking. "Secrets are dangerous, Arie."

"Sometimes they are necessary, though. Aren't they Zanh Liis?"

"I would rather not have this talk on a planet full of telepaths," Liis leaned over the table and whispered softly. "Not in such a public place. Later, I promise."

Arie nodded. "What would you like to talk about then?"

"You." Liis decided. "We've never really gotten to talk much. That has been an oversight on my part."

"You are the Captain. You are a busy woman." Arie sounded thirty-seven years old herself as she made the remark.

"But you are very special, Arie. I've never told you that before, and I should have." Zanh thought about all that she had been through with TI, all the Jumps undertaken and then re-taken to try to ensure not only Salvek's safety, but Arie's birth. "You are a very important person to me."

"Thank you." The child seemed embarrassed now, and Zanh attempted to lighten the moment.

"Let's talk about things we both like to do. We both like to swim, what else do you like?"

"Books...music." Arie offered.

Now, she had Liis' attention. "Music is one of my favorite things." Liis forgot for a moment the age of her companion. "What kind of music do you like?"

"Twentieth and twenty-first century Earth artists are among my favorites. Classical Bajoran works and even some of the Vulcan pieces," Arie replied excitedly. "Dabin Reece has taught me a great deal about the music of centuries past. Such as..."

"U2, Keane, and The Beatles."

"U2, Keane, and The Beatles."

Arie and Liis spoke in unison, and then laughed. "Dabin has taught me a thing or two about music too." The Captain replied. "Who else do you like?"

-=Two hours later=-

Both the woman/child and the child/woman were giggling, over-tired and over-fed as they tried to finish the last crumbs of the rich chocolate torte they had split for dessert.

"Joe is the cutest one." Arie explained, sighing dreamily. "I love to go to the holodeck and watch Jonas Brothers concerts, but it's hard for me to get access to it. I've only been able to do it once since we've been on the Sera. It was much easier on the bigger ship."

"Well, I happen to know someone who might be able to help you secure a little more holodeck time." Liis said with a wink, as she pressed her thumb to the PADD on the tabletop to authorize payment for their meal.

"Father says that he is not comfortable using his position to," Arie objected with all seriousness, and Liis laughed.

"I meant me, silly. Captain, remember?"

Arie's eyes lit up. "You would do that for me?"

"I will. Soon as we get back. Just...be sure your parents approve in advance any programs you're going to run during your own personal holodeck time, all right? And pencil me in for one of those Jonas Brothers concerts."

"All right!" The child jumped out of her chair, and threw her arms around Liis' neck before she could rise from her chair. "Thank you, thank you Zanh Liis!" The child clung to her a long time, and after awhile Liis felt strangely emotional over the embrace. She blinked back unexpected tears, and patted Arie on the head.

"You're welcome. Come on, time for bed now."

She took the child back to her huge suite and saw to it that teeth and hair were brushed, pajamas were put on, and then she sat on the edge of the bed as Arie, though yawning and exhausted, tried to squeeze just a few moments more out of their day together.

"We're not in a public place now, Captain Zanh," Arie was determined to try to get her questions answered, one last time. This chance to be alone with the woman who could answer them may not come again for a very, very long time, and in such a setting would likely never come again.

"No, we're not." Zanh said nervously, "What is it you want to know?"

"My parents." Arie said plainly.

Zanh waited for her to elaborate, but Arie did not. "What about them?" She finally prodded.

"They are my parents."

"Of course they are. They adopted you when,"

"No," Arie shook her head somberly. "They are my biological parents."

Liis' eyes widened. She knew this day was going to come, but she had expected to have the conversation with the child with both parents and at least one counselor present. "Arie,"

"I will not press you for details, I know that you are trying to keep me safe." Arie hurried to add. "Please, Zanh Liis. You do not even have to answer me yes or no. If they are my parents, just do not tell me otherwise. I'm older now, I need to know who I am."

Liis sighed. She would not patronize this girl, so wise beyond her years.

Instead of concocting a lie, she simply leaned down and kissed Arie gently on the forehead. "Goodnight, Lair Arie. Dream well."

Liis rose, wanting to spend some time alone out on the balcony to sort her thoughts before retiring for the evening.

As she turned out the light and pulled the curtains closed, Arie spoke softly.

"I am glad that I was too young to remember the other time," she looked at Zanh sadly. "It must be very difficult, to do the job that you have done. But I have never thanked you for doing it until now, and so I do thank you, Captain. I thank you very much. I am..." The girl stopped as another yawn overtook her power of speech momentarily. "I am glad that I am alive, and here in this time."

"So am I, Arie. So am I."

"The work that you have done, and those like you," Arie continued, stopping Zanh in her tracks. "Those like Commander O'Sullivan,"

Liis bit her lip and listened. She didn't know how the girl had come to these conclusions, but surely she had seen, heard, or overheard something that could not be denied.

"We all owe you a great debt. How can we ever repay you for all you've done?"

"Live and be happy, Arie." Liis turned away in an attempt to conceal her emotions. "Just...be happy, and live the life of your dreams."

"Captain, one more question, please?"

"What now?" Liis was anxious for this interrogation to end.

"Is it considered appropriate for a person to kiss someone to whom they are not married?"

Liis' jaw dropped. 'Well...people who are in love often kiss before they're married..." she paused. *Damn it Salvek, I am not going to give the sex talk to your kid for you, I swear...* Liis thought angrily. "Haven't your parents,"

"Oh, we have discussed courtship rituals, the biological aspects of procreation and mating practices among Bajorans and Vulcans as well," Arie assured her. "That is not why I ask."

"Why do you ask then?"

"Well..." Arie bit her lip now, hesitant.

"Arie, who did you see kissing whom?"

"Vol..." Arie was now beginning to regret that she had brought the topic up. "I saw him kissing someone today. Someone who was...not Dana."

Liis waved her hand dismissively. "Betazoids are very affectionate people. Perhaps it was a close friend, or a relative,"

"But he was kissing them like people kiss when they're in love," Arie insisted. "And I just, I wondered if that was customary on Betazed. To kiss someone on the lips that is not your betrothed the day before your Bonding."

"Must be," Zanh frowned, troubled by this information. "Must be. Goodnight, Lair Arie."

She stepped out onto the balcony at last, drew in as deep a breath of the fresh evening air as she could, and then sat down to consider all that had happened this day.

As she did so, she couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen tomorrow.


--------------
-=/\=- Zanh Liis
Commanding Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012