459: I Was Just Thinking

by Dr. Jack Hubbard
80807.12
Following The Doctor Will See You Now

-=USS Alchemy=-


Dr Hubbard had finished his cycle and pondered the idea of attending the wedding or at least some portion of the festivities. He double-checked duty rosters and made certain that he could in fact get away to Betazed, and found that he could allot himself two days on the beautiful planet.

He wanted very much to stop in at the University of Betazed and make contact with physiology instructors there-it was a bit of a hobby with him; he loved the exchange between people either in his field or nearly related fields. He quickly made arrangements and soon found himself planetside. He was hungry, but lunch could wait, he really wanted to meet with some of his brethren and talk about the latest break-throughs on Betazed.

The medical branch of the university was staggering...a huge dome-shaped building surrounded by some botanical gardens of varying varieties of indigenous plants.

On the way into the main building of the medical branch, Jack took a moment to admire the Uttaberry and Oskoid plants that adorned the walkway leading in to their foyer.

From behind him he heard a voice, "They cultivate these for both nutrition and various other experiments."

He whipped around to find a stunning Betazoid woman, in a long orange labcoat smiling back at him. Dark hair, with gray eyes...*Gray eyes...*

Jack stammered, "How did?...oh, of course..."

"I'm sorry...it's just that you were projecting your thoughts so loudly...I couldn't resist," she apologized.

*You're absolutely gorgeous...and some kind of medical professional,* he thought intentionally.

She blushed slightly, "I'm going to have to avert my thoughts if you continue...but, thank you for your compliment, and yes, my office is on the third floor. I'm Dr. Alorha."

Jack hesitated, "Should I speak or think?" He smiled.

She returned the smile and moved closer to him, "Well...I've always thought it was best to think before speaking but it's definitely your choice."

Jack didn't miss a beat, "I'm Dr Jack Hubbard...Jack please...I came here to see a wedding, but first I wanted to have an exchange with someone in my field... I always..."

She smiled slyly, "An exchange? Is that what they're calling it these days..." She looked over his uniform, "...in Starfleet?"

Hubbard couldn't believe his luck..."Would you join me for lunch?"

Alorha didn't miss a beat, "In our culture we value honesty...I'd rather have...an exchange."

She read his thoughts, "I live over that way." She pointed and took him by the arm.

*Nice...very nice.*

=====

Lt Cmdr Jack Hubbard
CMO
USS Serendipity