327: Calling in Markers

by Avery Breaux
80609.16
Concurrent with Flower Power

-=Sickbay, USS Serendipity=-


The med teams sufficiently busy, Avery secured himself in his office and began a personal log. He found it satisfying to look out through the abundant windows and survey the activity as he caught up on his log which was woefully behind. He had missed the opportunity to work aboard the ship.

He moved first to the replicator, "Coffee, double cream." He fetched the welcome drink and settled in at his desk. "Where to begin?" he asked himself. He reflected for a few moments and finally embarked on the venture.

"Computer, begin personal log," he commanded as he opened his comm mail. "Mission completed and I have no more respect for bureaucratic institutions than when I had my epiphany aboard the Erasmus...it is a constant struggle to stay within the confines of rigid systems that offer no real support for those in need...if I didn't now control my own destiny in the Sickbay with regard to my patients, I would have left the service some time ago."

Breaux continued to read the incoming messages as he fumbled through his personal log. "I will return to completing personal log entries as a form of therapy...hopefully it will serve to remind me of who I am and why I stay here. I am overwhelmed by the professionalism shown by my crewmates...they are a fine bunch and I hope that I have not lost standing in the eyes of those few on board that know my plight with Starfleet."

"I look forward to settling in ship-board and returning to the normalcy of those tasks...computer...pause log," he commanded.

He leaned forward and inspected the latest comm carefully. It was from Angela. Before he made a decision to open it, he leaned back in the chair and gathered himself. *Tell me you haven't done something stupid* he thought to himself. Nurses walked by the windows of his office, some acknowledging him, others too engrossed in their work to pay him any mind. Breaux fought to focus. *Angela, please...* he thought.

He opened the comm message.


Working.
Will update you when I'm able.
Stay salty.
Angela


He felt more than a little relieved. 'Working' meant that Intelligence had called upon her for a clandestine mission.

*So the bastards are going to make us do their dirty work* he thought. 'Salty' had always been Angela's lexicon for 'fighting against the power'. *You'll never change* he thought.

He then wondered if he had changed or was capable of sustaining the change that Starfleet wanted. He decided he would put off such thoughts. "Computer, end program for now...enough honesty for one day."

He made a mental note to circulate among the crew and establish friendships.

He looked back to the comm screen and wondered if his old friend was safe.

---------------------------
LT Cmdr Avery Breaux
Chief Medical Officer
USS Serendipity