382: Used: Part One

by Keiran O'Sullivan
80630.0400
Following A Time to Keep Silent
-=Soundtrack: Lost? by Coldplay=-
---------------------------

-=Office of Admiral Jonas Vox, Temporal Investigations HQ=-


"Why would you think I was going to reassign him?" Vox asked coyly.

"Admiral," Liis' lip curled upward at one corner. "There is nothing wrong with me when it comes to remembering how you operate."

Vox flinched. Nothing wrong indeed.

"He was never meant to stay on the Sera forever. He helped with her launch, and now we have need of his services elsewhere. That being the case, we are going to reassign him. Simple as that."

"Hello? I am in the bloody room!" Keiran objected.

"Well if that is the case, then I want to close ranks." Zanh continued, disregarding O'Sullivan's exclamation. "I do not want to bring two new members of senior staff aboard at the same time, especially given our recent loss." She was too angry with Breaux to speak his name aloud. "I have got to have another CMO."

"You have a suggestion, then?"

"Let me combine Tactical and Security. Promote Zander Blakeslee to the job. They've done it for years on much larger ships than ours, and Zander is more than capable."

Vox glanced over at Keiran, who was now staring blankly out the window. Without turning, O'Sullivan nodded his approval. He knew that Blakeslee was indeed qualified-and trustworthy.

"As you wish. Promote him before or after shore leave, up to you."

Liis was growing ever more tired and anxious to leave by the moment. "Now that's all settled, if there's nothing else,"

"Actually, there is one more thing, Zanh Liis. Your compass, if you please."

*Shit,* Liis thought. She'd nearly forgotten. She handed it over reluctantly, and Vox sighed.

He turned to the top drawer of his desk and retrieved a cloth roll. Inside of it were tiny tools, similar to the kind a jeweler would use to set diamonds. He placed a loupe to his eye and set to working on the compass immediately.

"Do you have any idea how much one of these costs, Zanh Liis? Not to mention what could've happened if it had gone off and you'd missed the warning because you smashed the living hell out of it. Again."

"I've...done that before?"

"Yes."

"Yes."

O'Sullivan and Vox both replied in unison.

"I see. But it didn't go off did it?" Liis fussed. "Just open up the almighty supply locker and give me another. You know, I have never really been sure that one ever worked right to begin with."

"Not a new one," Vox replied sternly. "This one. You know it's yours specifically and can't so easily be replaced. I'll have it repaired momentarily."

"Seriously? I can't have a different one?"

"Seriously. And next time, the cost of the parts and labor for repairs comes out of your pay."

Liis roared. "Like you pay me. Can I go now?"

"In just a few minutes. I need to speak to Mr. O'Sullivan before I send him on his way, and then with you one last time. Wait outside."

Liis fumed. "Great. Well, I guess this is where we part company," She approached O'Sullivan, holding out her hand toward him. "Thank you for your service, Commander. I'd like to say that it's been nice knowing you...but I wouldn't know. So."

As jaded as he was, Jonas Vox still winced as he glanced up and saw the look that crossed O'Sullivan's face.

Instead of taking her hand, Keiran chose to stand at attention. "It's been an honor to serve with ye, Captain Zanh. Good luck with The Alchemy Project."

Liis withdrew her unshaken hand after a moment and headed for the door.

"Take care, O'Sullivan. Tick tock, Jonas. I am a woman with things to do and places to go. Don't keep me waiting long!"

------------------------
Lt. Commander Keiran O'Sullivan
Former Chief of Security
USS Serendipity NCC-2012