390: Parental Grooming

by Ensign Shayne Todd
80708.18
Concurrent with The Drawing Board

-=Earth=-


"Morning, Dad." Shayne mentally rolled her eyes as she sat behind her tiny little desk in the temporary shared quarters that Starfleet saw fit to use as punishment for not accepting immediate assignment right after graduation from the Academy.

[Did you arrive in one piece?] Jaxson Todd asked as he stretched and craned to be able to see the parts of his daughter that weren't in direct line of the viewscreen. [You weren't late were you?]

"Yes, Dad. I managed to get here without being injured, kidnapped or arrested." Shayne despised her father's over protective nature but could nothing to help discourage it. "And no, Dad, I was not late for my assignment interview."

[Good, good. That's what I like to hear.] Jaxson smiled at his only daughter. [So, whad'ja get?]

"I'm sure you've never heard of it," Shayne replied with an audible sigh. "Some ship called the Sarasota...Saralee...Sarah somebody..."

[Serendipity?] Mr. Todd's eyebrows shot up into his receding hairline. [Are you sure?]

Shayne thumbed the padd that contained her orders and read through the first few lines again. "Yep, that would be the one. Why, you heard of it?"

[Only once,] the man replied, his eyes still the size of dinner plates. [You're sure that's where they're sending you??]

"Yes, Dad, I'm positive!" Shayne was more than annoyed at her father's tone. "What, you think I'm not good enough?"

[You know better than that,] Todd chastised his daughter for even thinking such a thing. [I think you're good enough to fly the personal yacht of the Federation President. You know that.]

"Yeah... well... I don't ever see *that* happening," Shayne rolled her eyes. Did all parents think their children were prodigies that deserved special treatment?

[I wouldn't be surprised at all,] Jaxson puffed out his chest with pride.

"Don't hold your breath, old man." Shayne allowed the corners of her mouth to turn up slightly as she winked. "I don't want to have to leave this cushy new job to come home for your funeral."

[I wouldn't put you through that.] Todd leaned in closer to the screen and whispered, [That would mean your mother would have to move in with you. You know she doesn't like to be left alone for too long.]

"Dad, who do you think you're talking to?" Shayne playfully glared. "Who was the one that was forced to sleep in the bed with her when you were on those long trips of yours? I thought she was going to bunk with me during my first year on campus."

[I think she certainly would have if I hadn't dragged her along with me.] Jaxson chuckled at the memory.

"As much as I enjoy walking down memory lane with you, Pops..." Shayne smiled warmly at her father because she knew that this might be the last time she could speak with him for a while, at least, until she got settled aboard her new home.

[I know... I know...] he waved a dismissive hand. [You've got a transport to catch.]

"Something like that." It was now Shayne's turn to chuckle.

[Take care of yourself, Kiddo.]

"I will, Dad."

[Be careful and don't tear up anything."

"Ok, Dad."

[Mind your manners up there.]

"Dad!"

[You know what I mean.]

"I haven't done that since fourth grade."

[We don't need a repeat of Sister Mary Agnes' lecture on why you weren't permitted to have recess with the Keller twins.]

"You know that I wouldn't have bloodied Trey's nose if he hadn't put gum in my hair and I wouldn't have broken Trent's arm if he hadn't laughed at how my hair looked after Mom cut the gum out."

[I'm just saying...] Jaxson held up his hands.

"Good-bye, Dad."

Ensign Shayne Todd
Flight Control Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012