76: Poetry in Motion

by Lt. Breaux and Lt.Commander Lair
80110.00
Following Tricked Out
-----------------------------------------

--=Main Engineering, USS Serendipity=--


"I'm sorry," The man said politely. "Please excuse me."

Lair took a step back, and he steadied her by the arm as she teetered momentarily from side to side.

"No, I'm sorry, my fault." Kellyn insisted, because it was. "I was so taken with the lay of the land that I didn't see the headlights of oncoming traffic."

She extended her hand toward him as she knew was the Human custom. "I'm Lt. Commander Lair Kellyn, are you one of mine?"

"One of yours?"

"One of my engineers?"

Breaux was a bit taken aback by the presence of the Admiral.

"Yes...yes I am...Avery Breaux...from Erasmus...glad to be aboard." He gaze soon fell on the impressive Engineering area..."The machinery of grace is always simple...who only by moving can balance...only by balancing move."

He was transfixed by the magnificence of what lay before him. His comment drew odd looks from the two non-humans present, but a look of recognition from the two humans.

"Oh sorry...early Terran poet, Donaghy, I came across his poem on machinery ages ago...excuse me one second...I haven't had an opportunity to run the specs."

He set down his books and duffel bag, deftly moved across the flooring and slipped below the console, "There's something I have to know."

Pulling the panel and setting it to the side he craned his neck and twisted and turned and uttered, "Damn." He slid out quickly, "Excuse me...I'm just surprised...no gel packs...it's a bit of a letdown."

Kellyn and Salvek exchanged looks. Admiral Vox examined the recessed lighting fixtures in the ceiling overhead, and Zander Blakeslee, the carpet underfoot.

Lair Kellyn bit back her initial response, which was to blurt out "You actually got used to the blasted things?" and instead, regarded Breaux with a smile. He spoke his mind, and that was something that pleased her highly, even if his opinion didn't match up with hers.

She ran through the words he'd quoted forward and backward in her mind. Her instincts about the man had been right on. He not only had the eyes, but also apparently the soul of a poet.

"I think we'll do all right without them." Finally came her audible reply. "Wait till you see what our Gateway can do."

"Indeed." Salvek concurred, stepping toward the man's position, and leaning down, with his head tilted to the side slightly.

"May I introduce myself, Lieutenant Breaux. I am Salvek, Executive Officer of this ship. I'm certain you've already met Admiral Vox," Salvek knew full well that each and every person assigned to this ship had been interviewed by Vox personally before being accepted into the program, "And Zander Blakeslee, Chief Tactical Officer."

Breaux replaced the panel and moved quickly back to their location. He took a moment to shake hands with each man, nodding politely as he once again regarded his surroundings.

"It's a beautiful engineering system even without the packs. I don't start my cycle for another 24 hours, but I'd be happy to handle anything that needs to be done now." Breaux measured Lair and Salvek, while slipping the ever present medical books to the side of him, so as not to be easily deciphered, "I do want to get a look at...Sickbay...that is, if nothing needs to be done here."

"So much needs to be done here that for now, nothing needs to be done here." Lair Kellyn replied, with a laugh that came easily and was quite welcome to Avery's ears. "Take advantage of every second of those last twenty-four hours of freedom, Mr. Breaux. Once we get serious, it's not likely you'll have much time off for awhile."

Breaux hesitated and then realized that each of them had observed his awkward moment,

"Permission to speak freely?"

Again the group looked at one another, not certain of where this would be headed- especially given the newness of their crew mate.

The Admiral nodded his approval.

"I have a driving desire...I'm getting a bit long in the tooth by Starfleet standards...I was very happy with my assignment on Erasmus, but I understand why Captain Nolan had me enter into the interview process for the Sera."

The group was still curious as to what Breaux was driving at. Continuing to be diplomatic, yet direct, Avery trudged on. "I want to be a doctor."

His words hung in the air for a moment before Breaux negated the awkwardness of the Zen Void.

"I've studied for ages and it's a calling...I know this vessel has an EMH, but I need to know that if I can complete the Starfleet Medical assessments, along with the Federation Medical Academy work that I've already submitted...I can be a doctor...if not on the Sera...then somewhere...I just wanted to be up front about that."

Breaux knew he had one last battery of exams to complete and submit and then he would be advised by Starfleet if he had indeed passed.

"No disrespect intended, and it won't interfere with my engineering duties...but it's one of the few things I'm passionate about," Breaux finished. He waited like a school child being admonished by the principal.

"It's good to have goals, Lieutenant," Admiral Vox replied, as Salvek, Lair and Blakeslee looked on. "I'm sure Commander Salvek can make a note in your record that you have an interest in pursuing a degree in the medical field. A new medical officer, a Dr. Terasha is due to arrive soon, perhaps she can offer you some advice on pursuing your goal."

Vox drew a breath before continuing.

"When Captain Zanh arrives, you can discuss this in more detail with her if you wish to. I know that she is a big believer in the necessity of dreams," Vox stopped, puzzled as he watched Lair and Salvek both arch an individual eyebrow in unison in response to his last comment.

This man must know a different side of Zanh than they had ever seen, the couple thought, because they had always seen her as far more of a realist than a dreamer.

"Yes, Sir." Avery replied.

"Now, if you'll excuse us, we should move along and finish our tour." Vox indicated the door and Kellyn whispered to Salvek. He nodded, and she stayed behind a minute longer to speak to Breaux.

"A doctor, eh?" She watched as Breaux shifted his pack of books over his shoulder. His response fell somewhere between a nod and a shrug.

"Last thing I would ever want to do, personally, would be work on the living, or the dying" Lair observed, "I've had occasion to work on several EMH and even a Starfleet officer who happened to be an android, years back. But that's as close as I ever want to get to working on anything that can feel pain. Lair smiled at him gently. "Still, your goal is admirable. I wish you well in the pursuit of it."

"Thank you, Commander Lair." Avery flashed that brilliant smile once again.

"Just mind that you don't forget, we have a patient in critical condition already up on deck ten, and I'm going to need your help to revive her,"

Avery nodded. "Alchemy will make a full recovery," he assured her. "I'm certain of it."

Lair turned to leave, then shifted her gaze back toward him. "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

"Browning?" Avery's eyes widened in surprise.

"I've read a few Terran poets in my day." Lair saluted him with two fingers as she turned once more to go. "Keep reaching, Doc. You'll get there."

Breaux had wondered if leaving Erasmus would in fact work out, Lair had made him feel at home immediately. He looked down at his gray tunic and then to his medical books, and finally to the large expanse of Engineering.

He nodded slowly and made his way out behind her.


----------------------------------------
Lt. Avery Breaux
Engineer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012

and

Lt. Commander Lair
Chief Engineer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012