87: Trial and Error

by Dabin Reece
80113.23
Hours after Wish I Was Still There

--=Holodeck Two: USS Serendipity: A few hours before the dinner party=--


"Just humor me please."

"But I still don't see the point of this."

Dabin Reece pointed to the tree-lined hills in the distance with his paper notepad as he put his arm around February's shoulder.

"We know if we get too far apart that our link weakens. On the holodeck if you walk away from me it looks like you are far away, even though the actual distance between us remains the same. It's an optical illusion. So what I want to know is if a perceived distance can make our link weaken just like an actual one does."

"No I understand that. What I don't get is why I have to walk while you stand here taking notes."

It had only been a few hours since they had returned from their Honeymoon, and Dabin had wanted to take advantage of these last few moments of free time they had together before Serendipity departed on her first mission.

To that end, he had asked Bru to meet him on the holodeck to perform some more experiments on their telepathic connection. It was a first for his kind and he wanted to understand how it worked, what caused it, and what it meant for the future of the Trill.

"Look, you are the helmsman right? So set a course for them 'thar hills and engage at full walk."

February pursed her lips and began walking. To Dabin's eyes she appeared to be shrinking into the distance.

*Are you picking up my thoughts still?*

*Loud and clear, Dabin.*

Dabin scribbled notes on his pad with rough estimates of "distances" between himself and February. Every fifty meters he would ask her if she could still read them, and she would signal in the affirmative.

* I think that's far enough. The link seems to not weaken at all. Come on back. *

*Aye aye .* February thought back to him. *How about meeting me half way? I'm still tired from walking EPCOY.*

*I suppose so.* Dabin said with mock exasperation. He continued taking notes as he walked through the tall grass, till they met up in the middle of their field.

"So what's with the paper anyway?" February asked.

"I like to keep track of everything this way then input it into the computer for analysis later. Uh, don't take this personal."

Dabin backed away from her about six meters.

"Computer, end current program and erect a full height, one meter thick concrete wall between myself and Lieutenant Grace."

Dabin heard her begin with a "Hey!" to protest, then silence as the wall appeared between them.

*Can you still read me Bru?*

*Unfortunately. * She grumbled back.

"Computer, replace the concrete with solid titanium."

The wall shifted, and Dabin could barely make out February's thoughts. "Computer, remove the wall."

*And what is this test for? * She asked, anticipating a whopper of an excuse.

*I'm hoping by studying how different materials affect our link, I can better understand how it works. Anything can have an effect on it from density to thickness, reflectivity and absorptivity. I'm still not even sure if this link is just between our minds or how the symbionts affect it, if at all. Its going to take a lot of experimentation to figure this all out. *

*Which means a lot of walls. * February thought.

"I know how you feel about being a guinea pig. But I'm a lot nicer and cuter then the Symbiosis Commission. So bear with me. How did the Captain look?"

Dabin scribbled some more notes as February told him about their meeting earlier on the bridge. "She looks good Dabin, much better then last time we saw her, but you can tell she is still in some pain."

February felt a twinge of sadness and relief from him. She knew he had been worried about Zanh Liis, even though he tried not to show it.

[Commander Reece report to the ready room.] The annoyed voice of Zanh Liis came over the comm system.

"On my way." Dabin tossed his pad to February. "See you at the party my dear." He gave her a peck on the cheek and dashed out of the holodeck.

He arrived on the bridge to dead silence. The officers on the bridge gave him a sideways glance as he crossed the deck to Liis' ready room.

"What?" He said, looking back over his shoulder, as the doors parted.

He walked into the ready room. Liis had her back turned in her chair and was looking out the window. Dabin saw for the first time the wide array of nautical items adorning the room.

"Wow, nice digs Liis."

"Sit down Lieutenant Commander."

"O.... kay." Dabin wondered why she sounded so upset.

She spun in her chair and stared him right in the eye. Her eyes were steely and determined. Dabin's were wide and anxious. As she stared at him, ever so slowly, Dabin's lower lip began to extend. Liis saw the movement in her peripheral vision, and burst out laughing.

"I just can't fool you can I Dabin?"

Dabin relaxed, and shook his finger "You almost had me, Liisy."

"I just wanted to thank you personally for the part you played in my rescue, and for sticking with this crazy old Bajoran on this new ship."

"I guess you owe me one." Dabin said playfully.

"Remember when you wanted to go on vacation to Risa, and I made you stay on our old ship?" Liis asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"If I had let you go, what would have happened with you and February?"

"Well, Captain, we would never have ended up going through the mission on Trill, or her Zhian'tara together, and I guess that means we wouldn't have fallen and love and gotten married."

Zanh Liis grinned as she rested her chin on her hands. "You helped save my life, I helped you find your wife. I say, our debt is settled."

"Grrrrrr."

"Excellent, then you agree."

"One more thing, and our debt is settled."

"Oh, this should be good."

"I went by my new office when I got back, and my desk was missing.

"Sounds like a mystery." Liis tapped her badge. "Zanh to Security."

[Go ahead Captain.]

"Run a scan for me, Commander Reece's desk is missing from the science office."

[Will do, sir.] Came the reply from security.

"That should just take them a minute or two. I'll be seeing you at the party this evening I'm sure?" Liis asked him.

"Will you be wearing the Wonder Woman outfit again?"

"Certainly not."

Reece shrugged his shoulders, looking disappointed. "I guess I’ll still go."

[Security to Captain.]

"Go ahead."

[We have a misplaced desk in a corridor on deck 6. Apparently some of the escaped holodeck acrobats were using it as part of their show.]

"Please return it to the science office. Liis out."

"How the heck did it get to deck 6?" Reece asked, confused.

"I surely do not know Mr. Reece." Liis ginned, "See you this evening."

"Wait, did you..."

"Dismissed, Lieutenant Commander."

Dabin stood up and walked to the door. Before he walked out, he turned and looked her square in the eye. "You've won this round, Zanh Liis. But be careful, if you play with fire, you'll get burned."

Again he turned to leave, then stopped once more. He looked back over his shoulder. "It's great to be here with you, Captain."

Before she could reply he walked out through the door. The doors snapped shut, leaving her alone in the ready room.

Zanh Liis spoke to the door where Dabin had stood moments before.

"I missed you too."

*********************
Dabin Reece
Chief Science Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012