116: Honor Bound

by -=/\=- Captain Zanh
80125.19
Following First Assignment

--=Bridge, USS Serendipity=--


Zanh Liis and Admiral Vox said not a word to each other as they moved into the turbolift.

"Transporter Room One." Vox ordered softly. His eyes were focused straight ahead, on the doors. "You have something you want to say." It was not a question, it was a statement.

Liis' line of vision was directed above, to the ceiling.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Zanh found her mood rapidly deteriorating. She was already unsettled after her visit from TC Blane earlier. Then things got worse with the mission briefing.

Liis did not like the idea that Sera was going on such a risky mission as part of her shakedown tour of the system. She had thought that they'd take a nice leisurely cruise, watching to be sure that Sera's systems were operational and trying to revive the toasted trans-warp drive of the Alchemy.

Now, they would have to perform those assessments and repairs while also dealing with a challenge that would keep any seasoned starship crew on their toes, no matter the ship they were aboard.

"Well, for one thing, your second officer is wearing black." Vox wanted to get this over with. Better to have her yell at him now and in person, if she was going to lose her temper, than later over subspace.

Years of dealing with Zanh had taught him that her temperament was similar to that of a container holding a carbonated beverage.

If you unscrewed the lid carefully and let the pent-up, compressed energy escape slowly, she would settle, and remain at rest.

If you yanked the cap off quickly with one twist, especially after the bottle had been shaken?

You'd end up with quite a mess to clean up as a result.

"Yes," Vox continued, provoking her intentionally. "Black. Is he in mourning?"

"Halt. Lift." Liis growled slowly.

She turned toward him. "Are you trying to throw fuel on the flames? You knew about TC's reassignment before the party, didn't you? You let me go on and make that speech about how we were all going to be one big team, undivided."

She shook her head. "Somehow now that I understand why he was looking at me the way he did last night, I feel like an ass. You should have told me as soon as you found out."

"Blane specifically requested that he be the one to tell you. Besides, Liis, you wouldn't have said anything any differently and you know it." Vox purred softly. "Was a lovely speech."

"Don't try to flatter me to smooth this over," Zanh balled her hands into fists. "This new development just stuck a huge wedge into the heart of my chain of command. You know that after Salvek there is no one I depend upon more than Blane. How did you let this happen?"

"I didn't let anything happen. I could do nothing to prevent it and I didn't do anything to cause it. . ." He saw the look on her face which was incredulous, and he had recant a little.

"OK, so nothing specific that caused it. It would seem that Special Operations went over my head. It seems the powers that be over there don't trust myself, or you to steward Alchemy's technology unchecked. I'm sorry, Zanh Liis but there is nothing that I can do about it," he narrowed his eyes. "For the time being."

"That seems to be what everyone keeps saying. For the time being. Thomas insisted that this is nothing anyone can help him with. I just have a sinking feeling that somehow, in some way, this is tied to me but I can't get him to tell me how," she paused.

"I have a theory or two, but he seemed so intent on avoiding all discussion of what they're holding over him that could be so bad that he'd accept the offer to spy on us. . .I didn't push him. I know this. He feels honor bound to accept his fate for now."

"You know very well that Special Operations, like Temporal Investigations, is a business where right and wrong are convoluted at best and totally indistinguishable at worst." Vox continued.

"I would advise you, not only as your Commanding Officer but also as your friend, Liis. For once, for god's sake, step back and let things be for awhile. If Blane tells you that he's handling it in his own way and time, and you trust him as much as you say you do, then just let him handle it. Computer, resume."

The lift whirred to life again and Liis looked away, biting her lip. Somehow when Vox spoke to her that way, with a certain tone, it smacked of parental guidance.

She didn't react well to that tactic.

"I do trust him, and contrary to what you may believe, I have learned when to let things go."

She looked him straight in the eyes again. "But be warned. I will run my ship as I see fit and I will not tolerate Special Operations or anyone else looking over my shoulder and back-seat driving. I do not need a nanny, I do not need surveillance and I will not have any agency or any person trying to be my own personal version of Jiminy freaking Cricket." Liis rasped.

"You just tell whoever it is that is pulling TC's strings behind the curtain that he's got friends who won't turn their backs on him. No matter the color of the collar of his uniform."

"I'll be happy," Vox said, a proud grin settling over his countenance, "to pass the message along." He couldn't wait to see the look on Tyra Do'Chal's face, matter of fact, as he did indeed pass the message along. Verbatim.

They arrived at the transporter room and Vox took to the platform. Zanh dismissed the Ensign at the controls and took them into her own hands.

"Anything else you want to ask me before I go?" The Admiral inquired.

"Yeah. You regretting your decision to give me this job yet?" Liis asked. She was only half joking.

"Not for a minute." Vox replied, without hesitation or sarcasm. "Keep in close contact via subspace."

"We will. Energizing."

"Zanh Liis," He held up his hand, motioning for her to delay a moment. "Remember, whatever is said or done, at the end of the day, this is your ship."

She nodded. "Believe me, I'll remember."

"Energize."

A moment later, Vox was gone. Liis made short work of the journey back to the bridge, where Salvek was waiting with an armload of PADDs and updates to convey. "Captain, if I can have a moment of your time,"

"Staff meeting is in an hour, Salvek. Unless something or someone is on fire, save it."

"Captain, I assure you that no one is on fire but,"

"Save it!" Zanh growled, and she disappeared through the doors without taking the PADDs from him.

The officers on the bridge exchanged glances, and Salvek stood still, simply blinking.

A moment passed in silence. All the officers familiar with Zanh from past assignments were waiting for something. When that something didn't happen, they all looked toward the doors to the Ready Room, puzzled.

"I don't believe it. Why can't we hear it?" Micah Samson asked Reece, as the two worked together to crunch the sensor data on Beta-626.

"Dunno. I can't believe she hasn't turned it on." Reece replied.

Salvek ignored the conversation going on around him and proceeded forward, following the Captain into the Ready Room even though he had not been invited.

When the doors parted and he stepped through, the sound of blaring music filled the bridge.

So loud, that several officers cringed, the remnants of the party last night still with them in the form of a headache they didn't want to have to go to Sickbay and request analgesics to relieve.

As soon as the doors snapped shut, the bridge was once again silent.

"Damn! They must've soundproofed it in anticipation of the Captain's personal. . . vicissitudes." Reece exclaimed. "Now that's forward thinking and good use of technology."

"Yeah, but did you notice what was playing?" February asked, eyebrows rising.

Dabin nodded, but the others around them shook their heads in confusion and waited for her to explain.

"She's listening to Green Day." Bru concluded with a sigh. "The Captain never listens to Green Day when she's happy."
-----------------------------
-=/\=- Captain Zanh Liis
Commanding Officer
USS Serendipity NCC-2012